Thread: "Painted SAWS"?

Angry "Painted SAWS"?

Did a Rescue today, four handsaws. Couple were even painted on BOTH faces. Will be trying to strip the OFFENDING stuff off. Don't really want to use 60 grit to get rid of it....

So, anything over there to take these back to BARE Steel? Maybe some KleenStrip? Two appear to be Disston D-7s or even a D-8. Not sure about the other two.

Painted saws. GRRRRRRRRRR!

Be thankful that the painting preserved them from being scrap or trash.

Blog Entries
    I prefer my D-7 saw over my D-8 saw.

I have a D-12 that seems to be real keeper.

I don't know why I'm posting this, but I perceived that you value a D-8 over a D-7. It's really not a big deal, just commenting. I may change my mind tomorrow.

But...GLITTER PAINT?IMAG0138.jpgWish they painted just that one saw instead...

Right now Lowell, I have a D8 1st model of the skew Henry made, and a D-7 Lightweight that was the LAST disston made saw, before HK Porter came along. About the same, to me....

Can of stripper is about $7.97 + tax ( or maybe a pair of strippers at.....ooops, wrong forum) that rusty one will feel a 60 grit paper, real soon.

Until these are presentable to Polite Company, they will stay outside. Top one MIGHT be a Sandvik?

Gosh the two on the bottom are actually kinda nice paintings, not that I'm into that kinda thing.

Leave the striper alone and hang em up in the shop. Shop art.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I agree with Judson, there is no shortage of old handsaws. Should have just left these for someone who wanted the paintings.

I have a painted saw in my living room.
    image.jpg
    It was a gift made for me. It was painted from pictures of my boat leaving the river on deployment. It's a warranted superior saw. I have plenty other saws to rehab and use in the shop.

Blog Entries
    There is an old cheapo painted saw hanging in my shop.

The painting isn't a master. It is a better painting than the saw would ever be at being a saw.

For some saws supporting paint may be their best use.

Others may be the lucky penny we can buy with the paint for less than we could buy the saw if the seller knew what it was.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

All four are sitting outside, getting a good soak from the Kleen Strip. We'll see what we have in the morning. Might have to dig out a couple "trashed" plates, yet.

Well, sandpaper, wire wheels, putty knife......three out of four are cleaned of PAINT.IMAG0139.jpgFinish is still drying. L-R WS with eagle, brass hardware, 8ppi skew back, good straight plate, decent teeth. Next) Disston D-8 with 95% readable etch, steel hardware LARGE medallion, 8ppi skew back, straight plate decent sharp teeth. Next) a Mystery Saw: Straight back, hanger hole, steel hardware, 8ppi? Handle was very blocky, have since softened the edges a bit. Has one bent area that came be fixed, decent almost new teeth. Looks like maybe an 8-11 ppi. First saw has a reflection of my red shirt. might not be too bad...for $3? For all four saws?

Will try to get a better photo of each saw, if you want them. Still have a rusty Sandvik to clean it's plate off. We'll see how THAT one turns out....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Ok, they are now presentable to Polite Company. No more painted scenes.IMAG0140.jpgThis is the rusty Sandvik plate. Tote and hardware are temps. Those came from a Diamond Edge saw. IMAG0141.jpgThis was painted on both sides. A Warranted Superior 8ppi skew back. Brass hardware, with Eagle in the Medallion. IMAG0142.jpgHave no idea WHO made this one. It too, had paint on both sides, and the tote. Weird bolts.IMAG0143.jpgThis is a late model Disston D-8 skew back 8ppi Steel hardware. Painted on...this side, of course. There IS a readable etch, about 95% is still there. IMAG0144.jpgNot sure how well it will show up here. As for a parts saw that was done this week, as wellIMAG0145.jpgSteel hardware, Warranted Superior 8ppi. Not too bad a set of saws? And, NO PAINT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kemble View Post
    I have a painted saw in my living room.
    image.jpg
    It was a gift made for me. It was painted from pictures of my boat leaving the river on deployment. It's a warranted superior saw. I have plenty other saws to rehab and use in the shop.
    You deployed on my birthday in '11.

Not that it adds a bit to the discussion, but hey. . .
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Painted saw? YUCK! I wonder how many of my retores from the group of Painted Ladies are worth keeping around? Have restored six full length saws in the last two weeks. Including two D-8s 11ppi crosscut saws. One of which was a D(no hyphen) 8 from the 1880s.