Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Samples

Free Samples

After a few months of being nice I'm a bit reluctant to give free samples.
    Now I have a product - a magnetic wall chess set - that want to sell in larger quantities at a low price. So I contacted a few stores from Western Europe and two of them based in Germany asked for samples. I agreed to send them a free set each if they would pay for the transport - which is at most about 30 Euros. Only one agreed. The other gave me this reply:

"Dear Sir,

(...)
    If you are interested in a chance
    to make business with my company, you to send a free sample
    with free delivery."

I'm not sure that I, representing a small shop would be interested in a chance of doing business with a big company with a cheap behavior.
    After all, in the past months I've encountered quite a few people with plenty of money who haggle for fun and would never ever consider paying for stuff.

Long story short should I pay the 30 Euros or get myself a few new arrows for my bow and have a great time shooting them instead? What would you do?

Andrei -
    Not sure - but, kind' a think you answered your own question. Personally, I think you should follow your gut instincts as to which companies to deal with. No doubt each company has their own established policies, or practices, for accepting "samples" - so, if they say to send your item at no cost to them, well that's what you'll have to do. Also, feel that your suggesting they pay shipping cost may be "thinking kind' a small" on your part? I'd be more concerned 'bout the way you were being treated, or felt you were treated. 'Cause ultimately you're out to build a good working relationship with a "seller" - and, if it's an untrusting partnership at the start, well ... doubt it would get better. Also, thinking: a company which accepts "samples" should have some sort of contract, or formality to share with you? Wouldn't hurt to try 'n contact someone who has provided "samples" to them 'n the past. Also, wondering: do you have a patent, or patent-pending on your item? Anyway, good luck!

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Blog Entries
    In some ways, you backed yourself into your own corner. You contacted them about a product you make... why should they pay (even shipping) to see what you have created? Why should they take all of the risk, even if it is a mere 30 euros?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have to side with the store and with Dan. You contacted them. If I had a store and you contacted me I'd tell you the exact same thing. If you watch infomercials and other TV scams you always see them giving away "free" things. Of course to get those "free" things you always have to pay a "small shipping and handling fee." These companies are actually making their money on that shipping and handling fee. If you wanted me to sell your product and you asked me to pay shipping fees, I'd just assume it was another scam and move on.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

I went to a international sign convention a few months ago. One of the first vendors we saw was a supplier for products we buy. They whipped out a swatch book that had all their samples in it. They had some amazing things in it. Things we could find a use for. Then he hit me with it, "The swatch sample book is $50, if you want one, I can process that now and get you your swatch book".

Huh? So you sell materials. I buy materials. In order for me to be able to show your materials to MY customers, I have to PAY YOU? How about I don't show my customers ANY of your products and I don't offer ANY of your materials to them?

If you want me to SELL your materials, then it's YOUR responsibility to provide me with the tools to do it. If you don't, I won't sell your products. It's that simple. I don't pay for samples. I'm not paying YOU so I can sell YOUR materials. You should be paying me for selling your materials. I don't mean that literally, but you should realize that I'm essentially becoming a sales rep for your products, so you should treat me like someone that's making you money rather than someone that's an expense.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stearns View Post
    Also, wondering: do you have a patent, or patent-pending on your item? Anyway, good luck!
    Bill
    That's a good question. I've never thought about it yet but one big toy manufacturer would easily be able to find a way around a patent and make the same product. Also I might over evaluate my own product and spend lots of money on a patent for a useless one.

Anyway, maybe you guys are right to some extent. Although it's clearly not about taking "all the" 30 Euro risk ( I said at most - the transport can be 10 Euro by snail mail), or a TV mail scam, or selling sign materials to somebody, I'll reluctantly pay for the transport.
    It's not really about the money, it's about trust.
    And for my part I've observed that almost any local would-be customer I had and gave free samples of my work to, would seldom want to pay for a thing he or she can get for free.
    That's really not the case for those who pay from the start. Almost all of them are regulars.
    Maybe international trading works differently, I'll see how it will work out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I went to a international sign convention a few months ago. One of the first vendors we saw was a supplier for products we buy. They whipped out a swatch book that had all their samples in it. They had some amazing things in it. Things we could find a use for. Then he hit me with it, "The swatch sample book is $50, if you want one, I can process that now and get you your swatch book".
    This seems to be pretty commonplace, for better or worse. From vinyl suppliers to paints to acrylics... "we're happy to provide you with a sample book of our products... please deposit $50-150 here". When they're the big guys in the industry, you can't exactly say 'no'.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    This seems to be pretty commonplace, for better or worse. From vinyl suppliers to paints to acrylics... "we're happy to provide you with a sample book of our products... please deposit $50-150 here". When they're the big guys in the industry, you can't exactly say 'no'.
    Wanna bet?

You'd be surprised how many will waive the fee once the think you have the potential to be a good customer. I tell them straight up "Sorry, we don't pay for samples. If we use your products, your samples will be in our showroom and be used to sell your products to our customers. If you'd like that opportunity, then waive the fee, if you don't want access to our customers, that's fine too, but we don't buy samples".

I've had many conversations over the years with sales reps about it. One told me that a vinyl swatch book cost them $8 to make and they didn't like handing them out. I asked him how I was supposed to sell their product to my customers if I couldn't use their swatch book to pick colors. It's like a catch 22. They don't want to give you the item because it costs too much to make, but I can't sell the product if you don't give me something that represents it. If I were in that business, I'd risk $8 spent on a swatch book to sell thousands of dollars worth of product.

However, I've also seen examples where you give someone a sample finished product and they copy it. It's a risk. That's why it's called business. You have to make an educated decision on what the pros and cons would be. If you have something unique, I'd probably make sure I had some legal agreement in place that protected my property. If you don't get a good feeling from talking to them on the phone, then I'd steer clear. Google them and find people in your situation and see if they have a history of stealing ideas, etc. Do your research.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I deal with many different companies such as physical stores tiny to medium size, websites and catalogs. I offer the first two samples for free, however that is for my personalized products only. For my non-personalized products, if they want a sample I send it to them for the price of shipping. I also include a return label if they wish to return the product. If they return the product, I refund the shipping charge. If they keep it and want more, I deduct the shipping charge from the order. This way I feel that I am getting at least the shipping charge back if they never return it. If they keep it and order it,l I make enough money on the order to cover the cost of their sample.

I also follow up with a phone call about 2 - 3 days after the product is received to get their feedback on the product. From that I will know if they want more or will return it.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

Huh? So you sell materials. I buy materials. In order for me to be able to show your materials to MY customers, I have to PAY YOU? How about I don't show my customers ANY of your products and I don't offer ANY of your materials to them?

If you want me to SELL your materials, then it's YOUR responsibility to provide me with the tools to do it. If you don't, I won't sell your products. It's that simple. I don't pay for samples. I'm not paying YOU so I can sell YOUR materials. You should be paying me for selling your materials. I don't mean that literally, but you should realize that I'm essentially becoming a sales rep for your products, so you should treat me like someone that's making you money rather than someone that's an expense.

Steve, are you saying you got Rowmark and IPI swatch book free of charge?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Steve, are you saying you got Rowmark and IPI swatch book free of charge?
    Steve - 'n All -
    Probably wise not to answer that one, uh? - could do nothing but make some of us feel dumber than a rock for not asking for "free" swatches, etc.; might even cause a problem, or issue, for these very fine companies. ?? And, as for Andrei's original dilemma: only other thing I can think to say is for him to "do whatever works to get his product to market". Just my 2-cents!

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

If you want me to use or sell your products and want to charge me for swatches or sample books - go jump in a lake... plenty other companies that will entice and not try to punish me for trying to do business with them.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

We did buy the IPI and Rowmark sample kits about 7 years ago. I wouldn't do it today because we're in a much different place. When we bought them, we had little value to the companies selling them. Today, that's a different story. We spend a lot of money in materials. We believe that is worth something to the vendors. Want our business? Earn it.

I'm off on a tangent now, but supplier relationships are a pet peeve of mine. We have a local supplier that we've been doing business with for 5 years. We've bought machines and supplies from them. Had issues, couldn't get them to do anything. Finally got them to take samples and they would "get back to me in a day or two", and that was 4 years ago, still haven't seen anyone about the issues that we solved ourselves. They are literally 5 miles from us. Their sales rep has never once called us, stopped by, or emailed us. We bought a $15,000 machine that we could have easily bought from them. He found out we bought it when we bought some supplies for it. At the time, we said "We need another piece of equipment, get us some pricing", and we never heard back from him (we were standing in their office when we had this discussion). So, we bought it from someone else ($6,500 lost sale).

Their competitor opens up shop not far from us, the rep walks in, says hello, offers to help us with anything we need. Takes a few notes, emails our pricing on some items the next day, brings factory reps in, has factory samples sent to us. They have been by here more in 2 months than the other company has in 5 years.

They actually WANT our business and are earning it. We use 3M materials in our large format printer. The stuff isn't cheap. A roll of vinyl and laminate is $1,200. 3M will send you sample rolls of most all of their digital print media. They'll send you 54" x 10' of material for no charge. No shipping, no nothing. I just ordered samples the other day from them. It's about $100 worth of materials. No charge. Want to try something else tomorrow, no problem, order that and they'll send it. That's how you earn customers and business. You let them see your products for free and you help them use them.

I have engraving plastic swatches from a couple of other companies around here somewhere, people that called and asked if we bought engraving plastic and offered to send us swatches for free.

I do know one thing, at this point in our business, I won't buy samples, unless someone really hooks me for something and gives me a compelling reason to do so.

Hi this is a very interesting post and there is no simple answer if you are making a product you cant expect to sell it if your customers cant put there hand on it yet you don't want to be sending samples to people who don't have any intention of buying from them so its a balance research the customers you are sending them to should help
    Cheers Frank

I don't buy samples either but I do give them if there is justification. This week I sent out samples to a building management company. Specific materials engraved so they could evaluate them for signing in some applications they have. I expect to get an order but it's not a given that I will.

I do not do samples for individuals--I send them pictures of work I've already done.

Johnson Plastics and JDS Industries will send samples swatches for specific colors but they charge for swatch books. That's ok with me as whenever I give a sample to a customer it never comes back--same with swatch books.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7