Thread: Fettlin Advise Needed!

Fettlin Advise Needed!

I am a first time poster looking for some wisdom. I have to first confess that I have caught the hand tools sickness and I am starting to fall off the deep end, which thus far has been a wonderful experience. I have recently come into a bunch of hand planes at the right price (I think I got 15-17 in the last month and spent less than $150). I am working on restoring three of them right now, a Stanley #4 and #6 and a Sargent #22. It is the #22 where I need some guidance. The plane was in amazing shape when I got it. Only one issue: the area of casting where the yoke is held by the rivet/pin was originally cast rather poorly. When I removed the pin, which had been slightly peened over I pulled the very small bit if cast iron off. I am trying to ascertain how one could correct this problem. Should I replace the small bit of casting and smear with JB Weld and file back into shape before repainting? Is there a soldering technique that the average guy could learn which would be safe for this type of cast iron? What do you guys think??? I appreciate any comments and would be happy to clarify if there are any questions.
    Sargent Frog 1.jpg

Sargent Frog 2.jpg

I would like to see a good clear picture of that frog front and back and I'd like to know how wide it is. Put some light on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Thanks for the reply Moses, here are some pictures. The frog is about 2 1/2" wide at the base and around 2 1/4" towards the top.
    Frog 2.jpg
    Frog 3.jpg
    Frog 4.jpg

Not sure at all why Moses needs better pictures when the question relates to a specific place on the frog.
    Personally I would not be very concerned with the poor casting around the pin, unless you tighten the lever cap too much and then forcefully would adjust the depth. That could put a lot of stress on the Y-lever. But if you can avoid that I think you might do just fine.

Most Sargent's are peen and I typically don't remove them. Its a pretty sensitive area. The single number series frogs had some week casting on the top of the frog. You see a lot with frogs broke.

I'd agree with Kim. I think it will be ok. Trying to fix it could worsen the matter.

Those Sargent's are fantastic planes and hard to find. You have a keeper. Post some pictures when its back together.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

Will do, it's in pretty great shape. The bed has seen very little use, pretty flat across the surface, perhaps .004 out on the one corner of the heel. Would some cosmetic J.B. Weld hurt just so it looks pretty when I paint it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolgemuth View Post
    Will do, it's in pretty great shape. The bed has seen very little use, pretty flat across the surface, perhaps .004 out on the one corner of the heel. Would some cosmetic J.B. Weld hurt just so it looks pretty when I paint it up?
    can't see why it would hurt.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools

I appreciate your insights don, I will get some pictures up when it's finished.

Blog Entries
    Would some cosmetic J.B. Weld hurt just so it looks pretty when I paint it up?
    Howdy Richard and welcome to the Creek. What part of the world do you call home?

If there is a piece to fill in the void then the J.B. Weld could be a good option. The problem may be getting the pin to stay in place when you put the plane back together. I have been lucky with J.B. Weld taking threads two times out of three attempts. I have also used it to repair the top pin in a lever cap but haven't gotten around to giving it any useful tests of yet.

You may be lucky if Moses has a spare frog that will fit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've been looking for a frog for a Sargent #9 for a long time if anybody has one.

Hey Jim, I live in the middle of nowhere Nebraska (i.e. 1 1/2 hours from the nearest walmart). I think there is enough metal to hold the pin in. I was thinking I would make a small dowel and wrap in wax paper to act as a mold for the pin and more or less "cast" the jb weld. Then after it sets up I would file it to shape and paint with the rest of the frog. I think the pin will stay in place without re-peening it, otherwise I will try to gently peen it from the other side where the original casting is still in good shape. I did see Moses has a box of frogs, I should probable check with him.

Shaw's patent

By the looks of it, I'd say you have a Shaw's patent plane, which are fairly hard to come by. I'd say repair the best you can, like some have suggested here, because a replacement frog will probably be a little tough to find. I'm not saying they aren't out there, just uncommon.

A little info:
    http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/shaws.htm
    http://www.sargent-planes.com/sargen...-smooth-plane/

Take care,
    Daryl