Thread: Under bed storage with pics

Under bed storage with pics

I have been building (and am currently building) some under the bed storage.

The first one that I built, has four wheels so that it will roll under a bed. The wheels use 3" so I created a space for the wheels inside of the box so that I would have more storage in the box. The wheels protrude out the bottom by about 1.25". This rolls very easily. I used pocket holes to assemble the carcass. My 6 year old fits inside this thing.

20140616T204012_Storage_Pitonyak_Rebecca.jpg

My 7 year old is a tighter fit

20140616T204148_Storage_Pitonyak_Catherine.jpg

Next, I decided to build some drawers that did not use wheels (which is why I posted asking where to find adhesive backed felt pads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-for-furniture). Note that this particular bed we inherited from a relative. I think that the die rail is African mahogany. There is a bunch of beautiful veneer on this bed. I used scrap wood for all of these (well, mostly scrap). The plywood carcass is what ever I had sitting around. The fronts are some cherry that I had. I cut the front "handles" so that nothing would protrude to hit your feet on when you jumped out of bed.

20140705T101618_Storage.jpg

I don't cut many half blind dovetails. I learned a trick from Derek Cohen and I drilled a bit of the waste out with a hand drill, made it much easier to chop out than my last half blind dovetails. I think that they came out reasonable given my skill level (or lack of skill level).

20140705T101650_Storage.jpg

I added a handle on the back side so that the drawer could be easily carried (the drawer is a bit large to otherwise easily carry). I was more hurried on the rear dovetails (that I also cut by hand) and I think that it shows.

20140705T101751_Storage.jpg

Very nice.

I wish I had thought of storing my kids in a drawer under the bed.

Your Dove Tails look great. Still better then mine, I am just not brave enough yet to try hand cutting. As for the felt, I have picked up the large package of felt they are about 4' X 6" and cut strips. Or buy a yard of heavy duty felt and carpet tape. I did this for my speaker boxes where I felted the whole bottom. If you have pets the pet hair gets on it and you will have to replace it. You might also try the furniture glides, but they do scratch the floor some. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Very nice.

I wish I had thought of storing my kids in a drawer under the bed.
    Problem is, they are able to get out on their own

20140616T204054_Storage_Pitonyak_Rebecca.jpg

The hard part, I suppose, is keeping them out from under the bed now. I was asked "when friends come to visit, can we put each other under the bed"

I suggested that it might not be the best thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    Your Dove Tails look great.
    Thanks. I put a lot of work into them...

I am just not brave enough yet to try hand cutting.
    Just give some a try on scrap.

As for the felt, I have picked up the large package of felt they are about 4' X 6" and cut strips. Or buy a yard of heavy duty felt and carpet tape. I did this for my speaker boxes where I felted the whole bottom. If you have pets the pet hair gets on it and you will have to replace it. You might also try the furniture glides, but they do scratch the floor some. Dan
    Had not thought about just using carpet tape with regular felt, probably the least expensive solution.