Thread: Moxon vise

Moxon vise

Besides the two blanket chests I am currently building, and amoung the other projects I have going on, I finally got the hardware made to build a moxon Vise.

Although I prefer the european style bench with a shoulder vise and a tail vise, the moxon vise kind of trips my trigger, because sometimes the shoulder vise places the body a little farther back when sawing dovetails. The roubo bench, and I see no reason why, seems to be the most popular type of bench being made these days and the moxon vise is one of the most popular vises going with this type of bench. And not having a shoulder vise I can under stand why the need for the Moxon vise.

Trust me I have no planes to convert to a roubo style bench, the moxon vise looked like a fairly easy vise to build so I though I would have ago at it. Here are some pictures of my hardware. I will post pictures of the vise when I get it built and let you know what I think.

DSC01467.jpg DSC01468.jpg DSC01469.jpg
    Earlier when I started this post, when i realized I didn't have pictures, I went over to my shop and got some. and since I took the pictures on the pench I thought I would throw in a picture of it too.
    Last edited by Tom Bussey; 07-05-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added pictures
    Tom

I use my all the time. It's not pretty since it was my first finished project but it works a treat. Look forward to future reports.

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous bench Tom!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I LOVE my Moxon vice, especially when I am creating some hand cut dovetails. I prefer the height when cutting, and, it surely holds things well.

It's the most used tool in my shop.

The only thing I dislike is the amount of play built into the front chop.
    That makes clamping long, thin stock a fiddly experience.

Any stock that isn't wide enough to reach the midline (as defined by the bolt holes)
    will force the chop to deflect out of plane.

A sticking board designed for thin stock solved that.

I have never noticed this problem Jim... Then again, I have not spent much time dealing with thin stock. How thin is this thin stock? Do you have a leather face on the vice?