Thread: Jet 1221VS alignment problem

Jet 1221VS alignment problem

Hi,

I recently bought a Jet 1221VS so I can start to do pen turning (and hopefully bigger stuff soon). However, I found that my lathe has a noticeable misalignment between the headstock and tailstock, and I'm a little disappointed. I know it is not a lot but I can tell my mandrel get bent when I press my tailstock in.

Is this acceptable? Is there anyway I can fix it?

Thanks,
    Joseph

Jet 1221vs alignment.jpg

2. Easy fix. First off, what type of stand or bench is it mounted on? Take a level and make sure the lathe bed ways are level end to end and front to back...........do this on several places, and make sure to get it as level as possible. Being off on the tailstock end by just 1/8"- 1/4" is enough to give the small amount of gap in the center alignment you show here.

Make sure the table surface or stand you have it on is level......if it is off on one end either front to back, it will torque the ways and throw off your center alignment.

If you do all this and still it gets no better, you should find a way to shim the inside of your tailstock.......looks like ever so slightly by looking at your pic here.............chances are the bed is torqued and throwing off your alignment [most likely scenario!]
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I think roger hit the nail on the head...the misalignment is small & easily corrected. good luck
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Just a thought - it appears your tailstock is not extended very far. Have you tried another half inch or so extension and then insert your live center? If it isn't properly seated then you could have that much misalignment showing.

Roger is also right in his comments - that would be my second suggestion.

Jon

I would disassemble the machine and check for bits of ?? between headstock and its mounting surface and/or between the rear of tailstock and bed. If there are no dents, dings or imbedded slivers, the alignment can be fixed with shims and/or filing but doing so would require some skill.

My tailstock center has more slop in the bearings than what you show. Check as Dennis mentioned above, I wouldn't worry about it any further than that. My 12-20 is off at least double what you show in a vertical plane.

When using your pen mandrel, use little pressure. Too much pressure can bend your mandrel. Also, when you turn, the heat from turning can make the mandrel expand, and that also causes the mandrel to bend. I ruined many blanks learning that. I learn slow. The first thing I did was to apply more pressure, since I was sure that would steady the mandrel. The best purchase I made for pens is the pen mandrel for the tailstock. You can get it on the bay and CSUSA.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the alignment, other than what everyone else mentioned.

Report the problem to Jet. I had the same problem and they sent me a new tail stock, no questions asked. You should not have to take anything apart or shim anything to correct this type of problem. Jet will either show you how to fix it or they will make it right.

Thank everyone's suggestion, especially Roger. I was surprised to see so many people replied. I leveled the lathe (put a piece of cardboard under the headstock) and it's aligned!

However, the sound of the forward and reverse motion for my lathe were quite different. The forward sounded pretty normal and the reverse had clicking sound. Is it normal?

I recorded a video showing this problem.

Thanks,
    Joseph

10. Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Chang View Post
    Thank everyone's suggestion, especially Roger. I was surprised to see so many people replied. I leveled the lathe (put a piece of cardboard under the headstock) and it's aligned!

However, the sound of the forward and reverse motion for my lathe were quite different. The forward sounded pretty normal and the reverse had clicking sound. Is it normal?

I recorded a video showing this problem.

Thanks,
    Joseph
    Joseph...........I cannot be sure just listening to the video you posted above, but that sort of sounds like belt noise to me. Try this.........take the belt off and rotate your spindle freehand........listen for grinding noise [which would indicate bearing] or speed sensor [that is usually a tick, tick sound,] but if your lathe is quiet it is likely one of the belt edges is rubbing or that it is off center...........meaning the ribs are out of their tracks a little which can make a noise.............see if that helps. If you have bearing issues, then Jet should replace, no questions asked!

I removed the belt and rotate the spindle freehand. It is very quiet forward and reverse. I think the noise was coming from the motor (remove the belt and still having the noise). Not sure if it's normal or not.

Thanks,
    Joseph

12. Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Chang View Post
    I removed the belt and rotate the spindle freehand. It is very quiet forward and reverse. I think the noise was coming from the motor (remove the belt and still having the noise). Not sure if it's normal or not.

Thanks,
    Joseph
    If I am not mistaken............the Jet lathes come with a 5 year warranty................new things need to be broken in at times. I would run the thing for a month or two............see if it quietens down. If it is still a concern, the contact the Jet service center.............tell them you believe the motor is not running correctly.............they will probably have you bring it in or send you a return and exchange for a new one.

I don't think it is a good idea to switch motor direction while it is running. It would be easier on the electronics to turn the power off and wait until it quits turning to reverse direction. IMHO

Dan

I called Jet and they said it's because the brushes need to be run to fit and the noise should be gone after operating several hours. Thanks for everyone's help!

Joseph