Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another thought about freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Thanks to everyone...it's going well, despite the fact that we are totally exhausted on our feet, but with smiles on our faces. I truly wish I could post pictures, but there are legal problems with that. You'll just have to trust me (as far as you can throw me) that these are the cutest girls on the planet, except for your own, of course...

I will say one thing to anyone consider hosting and/or adopting older childen internationally...learn some of the language. I'm so glad we have done that, and even though I am way behind Ali on that part of the project, it's been so helpful.

Now, what part of "nyet" did they not understand this time??...
    Glad its going well JIm...and don't forget to throw a few "yesses" in as well. I read the blog...looks like they are doing great....the food thing will be tough...I can't imagine my daughter going to russia and eating russian food. ..what are they accustomed to eating?

Best to you and your new family!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    Glad its going well JIm...and don't forget to throw a few "yesses" in as well. I read the blog...looks like they are doing great....the food thing will be tough...I can't imagine my daughter going to russia and eating russian food. ..what are they accustomed to eating?
    Short term stock tip...any company that imports bananas. In two days, the girls have gone through about two dozen bananas, as well as other fruit, such as apples, grapes, nectarines, rasins and oranges. Kiefer (yogurt) is popular as is cheese. Bread and jam are fine as long as it's not American style white bread...they are used to heavier, darker breads and whole grains. Chicken was fine as were hot dogs for food. (paieest) Milk, juice and water take care of the drinks (peet) In reality, they are not hard to feed and the deal is, "one must try everything at least a little"...same rule I grew up with. The toughie is keeping them from bringing food to their rooms (hoarding) which is not uncommon for intitutionalized kids since they are always in a competitive environment.

In reality, Russian food is not bad...just different in some ways, yet the same in others. It's not surprising that since the US is an "imigrant" nation (as are many of the countries that SMC has members), there are influences in the food "we" eat from all over the world, including Russia and Western Siberia, the part of Russian where these girls are from. "Conditions" also dictate a lot of things towards food and drink in all parts of the world. For example, milk is often not safe, but products made from it, such as yogurt and cheese is.

These particular girls appear to have a good diet and are healthier than many that come on these programs and/or who are adopted. Credit goes to the boarding school (internat) where they happen to live for that...they grow many vegatables as well as pigs to help support the facility.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am not surprised about the fruit. When we used to fly into Moscow, I was told that the crews would save the fruit from their crew meals, and give them to the guys who worked on the plane on the ground. I guess you can get fruit in Moscow, but it is expensive, and the selection is not as good as we have.

I think you better be investing in toilet paper stock if they are eating a dozen bananas a day!

Glad things are going well. I'll bet the hoarding stops when they realize that you will feed them again tomorrow. Bet you send them back a few pounds heavier! (and I hope with you, that you don't send them back for long)

I can only imagine that they think they are in food heaven, even though they might have to adjust their tastes.

Did you feed them any ice cream yet? Bet they don't see too much of that at the orphanage. I'll bet that brings a smile to their faces.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    I think you better be investing in toilet paper stock if they are eating a dozen bananas a day!
    Not to be gross, but we're still working on getting them to use it "all the time" and when they do, to dispose in the toilet instead of the trash can. This is normal as the systems where they live cannot accommodate the paper very well...when they have it at all. In fact, their school uses outhouses in addition to limited indoor plumbing.

Did you feed them any ice cream yet? Bet they don't see too much of that at the orphanage. I'll bet that brings a smile to their faces.
    Yes, this morning, as a matter of fact after they were very good at Kohls when we were buying clothes, shoes and bathing suits. It was the deal...be good and get ice cream. They are quite familiar with it, although they don't get it "a lot".

I will add one other thought...we have to get back to being very structured with them. They are not used to having a whole lot of time to do just as they please. A little honeymoon has been appropriate, but we need to move this "body clock adjustment" along real soon now...snore...
    --

Talking

Congratulations and Bless You and SWMBO,

Back to the start of the thread "Losing your freedom" is in perspective: if you view children as a blessing it can be liberating, as a burden they will definately be a confining and loathsome sentence.

The excitement you have shown in anticipation of this wonderful event means they will be a wonderful blessing to you. This does not mean there will not be a ton of work and struggle;however the joy that fill you when you see them smile makes it all worth while. I hope that all works out for you with the girls. May they be happy and healthy and thrilled to have a Mom and Dad.

May I recommend Track 9 "Turn Around" on Rosemary Cloney's "Mothers & Daughters" CD. There are few words more endearing to Dad then hearing his little girl say, "Wanna dance with Daddy!"

I'll have to find the blog to catch up on the detail. Get some sleep Jim. It is all going to be fine. Just get used to that worried feeling its normal when you care this much about something.
    Last edited by Charles McKinley; 07-05-2005 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I just had a thought...Isn't it ironic that the first lesson you learn when you have children of your own is that you don't get to get any solid sleep, with feedings every two hours and the changings and the wake-ups...and that wonderful day when you get to say, "he/she slept through the night". And when you say that..you mean "from midnight to 5am". Plus you spend an enormous amount of time worrying about food.

I guess, even with adoption, you still have to learn all the same lessons...sorta. Pretty cool.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

At least we made it to nearly 3am last "night". Dr. SWMBO and I hit the hay early, so "some" sleep was gained. If we can keep them up longer today, we'll be farther along on the time change. It was a "different" experience making breakfast today at 5am, already showered, even. (Those of you who know me, know I'm not, err...at least haven't been...known as a morning person...same for Ali) With all seriousness, we know that we'll have to get up earlier, but most of the problem we're now having is due to them adapting to the 9 hour time difference. This too, shall pass.

In a few minutes we're going to hitch up the trailer to the tractor and ride around the lawn for awhile. Potential-daughter-the-younger is demanding a ride on the machina in the garage...(machina is the word for "car", but who's complaining...my truck gets the same treatment!) And then it's off to the playground...while my dearest hits the market for another truckload of bananas. (How's that song go?)
    --

Jim, I can't tell you how happy we are for you guys. [raises glass]Here's hoping that all continues to go well, and you're able to one day walk these beauties down the aisle![/raises glass]

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta
    Here's hoping that all continues to go well, and you're able to one day walk these beauties down the aisle!
    LOL! I'm already married...two more would be a bit much... ... Seriously, when and if the time comes, I hope I can convince them to do Key West in the garden like we did. Much more "cost effective" than the "aisle" in my experience...
    --

Congratulations Jim and Ali. We are thinking of you, and the best of luck. You are providing those girls a wonderful experience that they will remember and cherish for a lifetime.
    Jerry

The Evidence

You can read the BLOG for the "long version" of the day, but this is our attempt at banana inventory to last a few days...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, what a day. Yea, the time change thing will pass. It is really good to read of your enjoyment with it all.
    That is a load of fruit!! If you were closer you could pick some bananas, oranges, tangerines, peaches, and various other fruits. Looks like you will need that kind of supply.

The best to tou all,

Ernie

What an adventure! I was adopted and knowing what it meant to my mom and dad I can sort of understand how excited you and Alison must be. It takes a special breed to do what you're doing. We're good at adoption as well, but only with cats!

I hope everything turns out very well for all of you Jim....best wishes!

Jim

I've read your posts here and the replies and I can't begin to tell you what a good impression you've obviously made on this bunch of wood butchers.

Here's wishing your family many, many years of joy together.