Thread: The Chair - Towards the Round

The Chair - Towards the Round

It's been about 4 months since I last worked on The Chair. Life happens. All good - just very busy.

So I was back in the shop this weekend, and here is a record of the work done. Lots of pictures and just enough description so you don't fall asleep

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...sTheRound.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks good thus far, Mr. Derek!

Those finger joints look to be a PITA to match up and make. Not sure I'd have the patience for something like that.

BTW, nice spoke shave.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Coming along great Derek. Thanks for the detailed step-by-step pics. That gave me some insights on methods of work that I think I can apply elsewhere to improve my joinery.

Looking forward to your next installment,
    Fred

Difficult!

I hope this chair ends up getting a lot of butt miles when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Looks good thus far, Mr. Derek!

Those finger joints look to be a PITA to match up and make. Not sure I'd have the patience for something like that.

BTW, nice spoke shave.
    Hi Adam

I must admit that I was mentally exhausted after the first arm, and decided to take a few weeks off (and then other events intervened). I am not surprised that no one else has tried this. They are wiser than I.

The spokeshaves used were HNT Gordon (flat and round), and LN Boggs (flat and round). I could take a deeper cut with the Boggs, while the Gordon (with its higher cutting angle) left a finer finish where the grain reversed. The Boggs are wonderful in the hand.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I must admit that I was mentally exhausted after the first arm, and decided to take a few weeks off (and then other events intervened). I am not surprised that no one else has tried this.
    Hi Derek, I wondered how difficult this task was going to be and after seeing the efforts you had to put forth and the attention to detail you needed to create these joints I am convinced that you are certainly a joinery master. I am sure that the painstaking approach you followed was the key to your success. Congratulations!

None the less, I do expect that you may have had a tiny gap or two to deal with, did you decide to backfill those with epoxy / sawdust or just leave them? Either way its purely a cosmetic detail and won't detract from the ultimate functionality or appearance and you will probably be the only one to even notice that unless you point it out to them.

Hi Pat

Funny you should mention this

When it comes time to glue the parts together I thought that I would use West Systems epoxy (because it is gap filling) and mix in a little colour to disguise any gaps that may be present in the finger joins. I have saved up sawdust from sanding the legs, however I think that this will turn out darker than the surrounding wood. Any thoughts and suggestions?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The spokeshaves used were HNT Gordon (flat and round), and LN Boggs (flat and round). I could take a deeper cut with the Boggs, while the Gordon (with its higher cutting angle) left a finer finish where the grain reversed. The Boggs are wonderful in the hand.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I hear that. I played with the spokeshaves while at LN's showroom. They're wonderful tools, very easy to use and set-up, and a simple delight to shape with. So much so, that I bought one of the curved spokeshaves on a whim.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    Derek, looking good! My sawdust and glue mixtures always turn out darker than the base wood. I usually crush up end grain shavings and use those.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Derek, looking good! My sawdust and glue mixtures always turn out darker than the base wood. I usually crush up end grain shavings and use those.
    Interesting - why would you use the end grain shavings?

Blog Entries
    They fall apart into a heavy dust with ease and are easier to collect without impurities than sanding dust.