Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: from the Calabash Zia series

from the Calabash Zia series

Emergence

from Calabash Zia series
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 07-06-2014 at 3:59 PM.

I don't know what I am looking at.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Dennis, thanks for looking

if you are Christian, you read the bible, Genesis, chapter 1, verse 1......In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

if you are pre-contact man you also had beliefs.....one of which tells of "Sipapu", the place where the people emerged from the earth. the earth is the 4th world and the other three are.................I am still not clear where these other worlds are/were

the prewter signifies the void....before there was something.......the other colors signfy release of energy....sort of like a blacksmiths fire......white, blue, red.....

the hole is the emergence

Hmm... could of did without the explanation! That's the part of "art" I will never understand.

Do or do not, there is no try.----???? Have you ever had dealings with an alligator?

Duane and Robert....thank you both for your comments

I'm not sure why you're saying this piece is part of a Calabash series, because that's not a calabash shape.

Is this a riddle or a test? Something seems off in the presentation and descriptions.
    Can you post some more pictures? I am intrigued.

- Precontact Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Is this a riddle or a test? Something seems off in the presentation and descriptions.
    Can you post some more pictures? I am intrigued.

- Precontact Man.

Agree. This looks like a cell phone photo. No focus and inadequate lighting.

If you have something worth showing at least take a decent photo. It might actually be something interesting...
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-07-2014 at 3:49 PM.

thank you for your comments Pat, Prashun, and Michael sorry my photo skills are not better. I would invite you to attend the Virginia Woodturning Symposium. I will try to remember to bring this one for the instant gallery. you will enjoy remarking on the tool marks on the inside of the form.

http://www.virginiawoodturners.com/s..._info_home.htm

Guys, go a little easy! Not everyone has a photo booth setup or a way to take gallery quality pics. Likewise, not everyone turns items that are like everything else you see. Charlie admittedly strikes out on his own and that is a quality to be admired. If it doesn't appeal to you, then simply pass on commenting.

The creek is a supportive environment, and we encourage civility. If the OP seeks it, then offer constructive critique. He did not, so leave it be.

Thanks.

thanks John, if any one has constructive critique I will listen

I like the shape and color. What is it turned from?
    Do or do not, there is no try.

thanks Dennis for your comment

the wood is Bradford pear, the paints are acrylic thinned with dna, shot with an airbrush, a layer of gesso was applied between wood and paint

somehow I have never seen Binh Pho do a rotation, I have talked with him via email one time on another matter, he is on the bucket list of things to do

I have seen Nick Agar and even was his demonstrator assistant for one rotation in tampa
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 07-07-2014 at 5:25 PM.

Charlie, Not sure I always understand your work, but I admire your creativity and it's nice to see things that don't adhere to the strict rules that some seem to think prevail. Good Job!