Thread: Benefit of club membership

Benefit of club membership

Storms rolled through the Chicago area last week. One of our member called and said there was four big cherry trees down in nearby Indiana. We gathered with four chainsaws and able bodies. We barely made a dent in the available wood. There was a large apple, lots of cherry and a large maple limb that never got touched. We took 45 + blanks back to the club workshop. Pictured is a stack to be tarped and rough turned. The other picture is one of 10 large blanks I loaded on my trailer. Looks like I'll be turning some more big bowls. We could have cut for a couple more days, but we're getting too old. The club will share it with members and raffle some off. Our member network has many valuable blanks of turning wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very nice. Lucky you and your club members.

3. Pretty nice haul, Bob......especially cherry! We do a similar thing here at our club. Seems like I get called on more than most in our club because I got my trailer and modified it into a wood hauler......winch. lifting arch, log tongs, etc............seems like any tree that we learn about, somehow I get brought into the mix.........but that is okay, because I do get to pick some nice pieces for myself!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

We had a tornado go through as well and there's so much wood you can't get rid of it all. A landowner is interested in clean up so when people come in and pick through it's not really much help to them. We have Amish neighbors that will take all the wood I can provide. They'll burn anything because as Levi said, "We're here to help you clean up too." Just another side to the issue.

Dave Fritz

I hope y'all have a drum of green wood sealer, because that cherry will need it ASAP!

With the tarp wrapped against the wall on the north side of the building, they seem to hold up pretty well. We try to rough them out as quickly as possible and seal them. Then they go into a converted upright freezer with a series of 40, 60, 75, and if it is winter perhaps a 100 watt light bulb. Usually in about a month they are ready to finish out. Our club workshop has three good size lathes. Yes clubs are a real benefit to improve skills and interact with other turners.
    Member Illiana Woodturners