Thread: Baileigh PL-1340E

Baileigh PL-1340E

I recently became the 2nd owner (at least) of a brand new never used Baileigh PL-1340E 13"X40" Metal Lathe. It is a import lathe from China. It came with a Sino DRO on the one I got - different pictures of this lathe have different models of DRO on them. Sino SDS6-2V was the Baileigh flavor of Feb '14 and is a common DRO sold by DROPros as well. The machine plate says it was MFG in Feb 2014. I have got the lathe set up and went through the break in procedures on the speeds and changed the oil. I use an ISO 32 hydraulic oil in my machine bought from an auto parts store in a 5gal bucket. You need at least a gallon. I have also made my first four 3d printer barrels that I sell on it. I am using a import D1-4 5C collet chuck on it purchased from ebay. Man I sure do like this lathe for all its handy features (That my atlas 12X36 does not have). I especially like the ON/OFF FWD/RVS switch handle on the carriage and the safety shield lock out. That guard and switch pretty much makes leaving a chuck handle in the chuck and starting the lathe impossible.

Only gripes so far: I am not a fan of the BXA tool post that came with mine - the handle is in an odd spot and makes putting the tool holders on it a real pain. I am thinking of seeking a replacement - or maybe ordering a Phase II or biting it and buying an Aloris or Dorian tool post. The tool holders I got (seller must have kept two as I only got two of them) also needed cleaning up and flattened to fit correctly. Basically it is a cheap clone and really should be upgraded out of the gate. Maybe I got a lemon of a tool holder setup.

These lathes are very similar to all other 13"X40" import lathes with the exception of the super nice Sino DRO. The grizzly G0709 gunsmith lathe is very close to it but is 14"X40" and has a D1-5 chuck mount instead of the D1-4 on my lathe.

Let me know if you want pictures or want any info on mine specifically.

I'll post more as I use it more.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Put a washer under the handle to change it's position. Or,machine some off the bottom of it. Why is that complicated?

The unlocking of the pin position interferes with the spot the holder needs to be in. Its like the drilled/tapped spot on the unlocking ring is in the wrong spot. Drilling and retapping is about the only solution. That or remaking the entire ring. Its just an annoying chinese copy of an Aloris. The Phase II I have (AXA) on the other lathe is perfectly fine though and it is an Asian copy too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.