Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some magnification for saw filing

need some magnification for saw filing

I'm looking to get one of those magnifying visors for saw sharping and need some advice as to what magnification would be best. the Donegan Optivisor 1.75x has a 14" focal length, do you think that's a good choice or would a shorter length be better? I'm 5'6"" so my arms aren't that long.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I have a Bausch & Lomb 81-42-0. 1.8x with three lenses:Focal Distance (Inch) 6, 8, and 12. 14" focal distance should be fine.

I bought this one for $30 from Amazon: Bausch & Lomb Magna Visor with Lens Set. Don't have a model number handy but it also came with three lenses and I chose the one with the least magnification. A gooseneck type desk lamp would also help.

Hi Brian

In my next life I will insist on telescopic eyes just for this purpose ...

Until then I use the Magni-Focuser available from Lie-Nielsen. This works very well visually, and is comfortable to wear.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have tried three things, when dealing with teeth smaller than 10 TPI,

A bench mounted magnifier (an old Stanley parts exam lamp, without the lamp)
    A hand held magnifying glass (for occasional inspection)
    Very bright task lighting.

The combination of the second and third aides make it possible for me to get consistent results.

I'm convinced that most of us can focus on finer objects that are well-lit.

Bayco Flashlight.jpg

I have several "things", with one being a magnifying lens attached to an arm on my bench (always seems in the way) and a unit like the one Derek mentioned. I like the second one best, however if I were to do it again, I would order it with the attached light. Also, get an extra lens, stronger than what you think you need. In a couple of years, you will need it!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

The cheap visors give me headaches. I dont' wear glasses, so must be sensitive to things that aren't optically correct for positioning. I bought some fairly cheap 2X "dental loupes" off ebay. They work great for backsaws with really small teeth. They come in different powers, as well as different focal lengths. The higher the power, the smaller the field of view, but the 2X's work good for me. I forget the focal length. I measured my normal working distance from eye to saw tooth to figure it out.

Mine are very similar to these, but 2X. I couldn't find the exact ones: eBay item 110951725131 There are usually plenty of choices on ebay.

I use 2 power drugstore glasses inside my welding helmet when I'm doing precise TIG welding. They allow me to get my face real close so that the weld bead takes up a larger part of the field of view than I can do without glasses.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-08-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Removed eBay link.

I hate trying to wear a visor. I just use 4x drugstore reading glasses for teeny work. Or,you can use less powerful. Your eyes need to be about the same value in each eye to wear the glasses. I get tired out after 2 or 3 hours of looking through them.

Of course,you can get prescription magnifying glasses. I have those too,but in my case the drugstore glasses work just as well. Now,I keep forgetting which glasses are the prescription ones. I made them use drugstore frames as I wasn't going to pay for THEIR Chinese frames,which are no different from the drugstore ones.

This is what I use, very inexpensive at about 10 bucks.

0075066800152_300X300.jpg

Got mine at the local hobby store.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 07-07-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Binocular loupes are what your dentist wears, or the surgeons on those TV shows. Binocular loupes can give high magnification without requiring you to have your face right near the object you're looking at. They also give you stereo vision, which is good. The medical ones are autoclavable, and are a thousand dollars. But there are inexpensive ones for the rest of us. I use one made by Edroy. I think it has 3X gain, and focuses maybe 12" in front of my face. Here's a 2.5X one about halfway down the page -- https://www.ishor.com/LoupeTelesight.php

Knowing my prescription for reading/computer eyeglasses, I went to a inexpensive site on the internet (zenni optical) and had a pair of +2.00 glasses made ($17). These were great for close up but I had to keep switching glasses to see anything at arms length. So I ordered progressive bi-focal glasses instead. The top portion is set for "computer" distance and so focus at about 3.5 feet. The bottom portion is +2.00 giving me magnification focused at about 12". Anything beyond 6' or so is fuzzy but I can see everything arms length to about 8" from my face clearly. The progressive bi-focal pair cost me $31.

If you already wear glasses you'll need to know your prescription and then do a little figuring to add magnification for single vision or bi-focal. The site and other places on the Internet have all the info.

For me it was a cheap way to go and gave me shop eye-wear specific to my prescription rather than generic magnifiers.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I've been down this path already and have ruled out some solutions that are suggested above. First, any bench-mounted optics such as the magnifying desk lamps are out due to the excess oscillation of those goose neck supports. I have prescription bifocals, but they only make the image clearer, but not larger. A loupe was just too strong and too little depth of field, plus uncomfortable and monocular. The magnifying visor with interchangeable lens is just about perfect. I got mine through Lie-Nielsen. The binocular vision is excellent for saw filing (and fly tying too, but I digress). My wife laughs when I wear it, but she's not into the Radio Shack look in general. In the meantime, my saws are sharp.

Thanks Guys, Good stuff!

I just ordered the Manga Visor with the 3 piece lens set which should be here Wednesday, gotta love Amazon! For lighting I've got a couple Jansjo LED goose neck lamps which produce the most even light I've seen in a desk light (http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-201-696-5...eywords=jansjo ) so that should get me started. I hadn't thought about those Binocular loupes but they look like a good option if the visor doesn't quite cut it.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I think it has 3X gain, and focuses maybe 12" in front of my face. Here's a 2.5X one about halfway down the page -- https://www.ishor.com/LoupeTelesight.php
    This is a really important point - the distance at which the item must be held to be in focus.
    When sharpening, I'm currently about 20" away from the saw plate.

These look like they might be really useful to those of us with prescription lenses.

Thanks for the lead, JB.

Manga Visor -

manga visor.jpg