Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

7 July 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    The construction project is moving along nicely. Drywall was delivered late last week, all the wiring is done, electrical panel is built and ready for power cut-over when the utility company can schedule me for a cut-over from my old service to the new service. Started putting up the vinyl siding, got the brick ledge done on the front and ready for the brick mason when he can get out here to lay the brick for me. Drywall install should be by early next week. Just came off of oncall duty this morning and I'm ready to be free to do as I need to.

Got the new service conduit and cable ran from the new panel to the shop and that will be ready for final tie-in once the service cut-over has been done.

I'm tired and I'm ready for this to be done.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The temps have finally dropped to the low 80's this weekend so I managed to get a lot of work done around the house. Cleaning the gutters is a LOT easier if you let the trees grow about 3 - 4" tall in them. Just pull a hand full of trees and the roots take all the junk out of the gutter with them.

Worked on the master bath shower stall some more.

Finished up a small bench I have been working on for FAR to long. Hope to install it tonight

Played some Croquet with my daughter. Then had to listen to her sing a dora the explorer el coqui song the rest of the day.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

Long holiday weekends are nice. Got up early Thursday morning and smoked a Boston butt for my MIL's birthday party that evening. On Friday I completed the woodwork of a chair I started [mumble] months ago. Now it's ready for a seat and the finish, the first coat of which I applied on Sunday.

Upon reaching a stopping point on the chair, I diverted my attention for a while to one of the cabinets the workshop desperately needs. I got the carcase built on Saturday. Made a mental note to myself that I was gluing up the assembly without having done a final dry fit, and on Sunday, of course I found the error I might have caught had I not rushed to glue the thing up. Next weekend I get to cut that mistake out and try again.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    July 4th is very big in our neighborhood. It starts with a 10k race down and back along the beach and through the neighborhood. The park starts filling with families at 7AM to 9AM. The weather was outstanding here but in the Valleys it was much hotter so many came down to the beach. After dark the Fireworks display is shot off over the harbor after which there is the obligatory one hour traffic jam.

We take the dogs for a long walk so they will be calmer when fireworks and tourists might get them over excited. After which I watched the Germans beat France while sharpening. I worked in the shop between games on my box project. Made an all american dinner for the family (read "grilled"). The doberman was lightly sedated as the fireworks scare him. Our other dog is deaf. One of the few advantages of his deafness is the fireworks are a non-event to him.

I am trying to get a piece ready for the Fair competition. Six months ago, this looked like no problem. But after my cervical spine issues and resultant surgery, I am not sure I will make it. But I will try but no big deal if I can't get it done right but submission day. Saturday LOML spent the day in her shop. I worked in mine. I was doing pretty precise, fiddly work (Miter Keys, etc..) and the time passed quickly. Sunday was much of the same. All in all a great weekend!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

4th on the 5th this year. Family get together every year so all the in-laws, out-laws, counts and no-accounts gather in a city park in our little town. Come from all corners of the state. A lot of them we see just once a year. Potluck, good cooks and eat to much. Oh well, what's a little heartburn among family?? What's happening in the shop? Have a little 8" Craftsman belt drive "50's yard sale for $15.00 table saw scattered all over the shop. Looks like it will turn out nice. Bought another one, direct drive without a motor for $5.00. Will use the stand on the belt drive and my salvage man gets the rest. Every one of these old saws I get I say "This is the last time I do this." Oh well, keeps me off the streets.

Put the final touches on my latest tack trunk, "delivered" it to the barn and "installed" it in the tack room. Very pleased. Worked on material lists for the next commissioned unit as the buyer has added some options.

Otherwise, it was a relatively normal weekend with barn time, lawn mowing, cooking/eating with the addition of the darling daughters switching rooms added to the mix.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...