Thread: Sources for French period Furniture pictures/plans?

Blog Entries

Sources for French period Furniture pictures/plans?

My wife loves Louis XIV style French period furniture - not the really gaudy stuff, more of the curved lines, carving, marquetry etc.. I was planning to build Garrett Hack's Huntboard featured in FWW several years ago, but was kindly informed "we can't put that in the house because it doesn't go with all the other furniture we have".

I guess I'm looking for some ideas to build the French period equivalent – you know lots of curved lines, marquetry etc. Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations for pictures, dimensions, ideas/plans etc. are much appreciated!

All the best, Mike

Fww shoptalk live did a two part interview with w. Patrick edwards. Go to his website and contact him. I bet he has some great sources.

Mike Allen,

I find there is a very useful tool for seeing a lot of general images for styles, that of simply googlizing the period and object, and Google will present a collection of images. This will usually be at the top of the search results page and called "Images for" example, a search for "Louis XIV furniture" yields >

https://www.google.com/search?client...IV%20furniture

> and there are many, many photos. These photos are attached to an origin, so the museum, company that made it, or owner can be found. Then it's possible to search the sources' sites and look into the individual object in detail.

All those curves, marquetry, and carvings! Also, I would think that ormulu must be hellaciously expensive, although today it must be gold painted pot metal instead of gilded Bronze. If you could persuade Mrs. Allen in the Rietveld direction,.. >

https://www.google.com/search?q=riet...w=1920&bih=912

Alan Caro
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 07-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.