Thread: hammer resource???

hammer resource???

OK, probably a strange request but I am interested in different types of old hammers. My dad had a box of 20 + hammers in it and many of them were odd to me. I have done some research on Google and can pretty much figure out the more common ones but I was wondering if there was a resource that is all things hammers. I am not looking to just identify them or I would just post them and ask. I really want to figure out all of the different types and learn them. I lost my old man 11 years ago and I am trying to figure out why he had them (he did not use them at all) and what his attraction were to them. So I need to do some digging that will if nothing else make me smart on the subject. I also am growing to like picking them up cheap and re conditioning them like chisels. I cant afford to collect expensive things but can handle a couple a bucks here and there for a chisel or hammer. So it makes me feel good to bring one back.... Ok, I am rambling. Any links to a hammer resource would be greatly appreciated...John

Over at The Garage Journal they have a 600+ post thread on hammers. It may be a good place to start.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thanks John. I thought this thread went to the stupid question category so I appreciate the reply ...

Hammers are cool. I worked in a steel mill blacksmith shop in the early 70s. So I have lots of hammers. Many of them I made and many I have collected because I like hammers. So I have hammers standing in corners and laying in drawers and well, all over the place. Several years ago we had an activity at church were many brought things of interest and talked about them. I covered a large table with hammers and talked about the different kinds.

So John, I am sure there will be a box with many more than 20 hammers when I am gone. I just hope my son will have the interest in my hammers that you have for your father's hammers.

Maybe you could start a hammer resource site.

I don't mean that in a snarky way; we really need one.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Blog Entries
    I am trying to figure out why he had them (he did not use them at all) and what his attraction were to them.
    Is it possible he had a secret love of macadamia or black walnuts?

Somethings the only way to get them open is with a good hammer.

I am with Chuck on the hammer resource. Start a new thread with the information on your hammers and maybe it can be linked in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs archives.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)