Thread: Texas style!

Texas style!

I've been working on this hat thing. This is cowboy #3. Ambrosia maple. Now, I'm looking for some BIG logs to cut up. It takes a big chunk of wood to turn one of these. 15-16" diameter and 10" thick. Photo credit goes to my wife.

C&C welcome

DSC_5663.jpgDSC_5662.jpg

Nice work!!

3. Very nice Eric! Most cowboy styles have a wider rim, but that does take bigger wood as you mentioned! A hat or two is on my bucket list to do some time or another, so I look at this with interest!

Ambrosia maple is a good choice of woods for these...........I suppose you turned green, kept it wet and turned it thin to allow the bending of the rim upward? Look out Chris Ramsey and Johannes!

Keep at it..........these are cool!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very cool! I like the hat band. Loved the baseball cap as well.

great hat......

Thanks for the comments.

Roger, this AM was still wet (in log form) but spalting. From my limited experience with turning hats - I'm up to a total of 5 hats - wetter, or greener wood will bend better after it is turned. I use a jig similar to Johannes'. I think that wet wood transilluminates better, as well. Transillumination is critical for turning this thin. On this particular hat, I didn't have enough wood for a wider brim.

Dennis Ford does a lot of these also. These kind of people like to stack BB's also. They look impossible and require perfect tool control and patience. Dennis does wide cowboys hats just to make us normal turners feel bad probably.