Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball point proof a cherry table top/desk

Question Ball point proof a cherry table top/desk

Any thoughts on making a cherry table top ball point pen proof?

Wanting to NOT do a film finish, but would like to avoid the dreaded "ghost note" - your grocery list indelibly, yet faintly embossed in the table top/desk.

In my other post sizing with liquid hide glue, it looks like that process might help some, but looking for other options.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I have a cherry counter done in Waterlox and it's held up very well. YMMV.

But that's a film finish, right?

oops. sorry. read that wrongly!!!
    The only way I know to do this without a film is to use the right wood.

You don't necessarily need a THICK film to give your protection, though. Can you tolerate a thin, varnish film?

To the extent that your in-the-wood finish is satin sheened, scratches and pen marks will be less visible than on a gloss surface.

If it's a desk, put a blotter on it. My wife gets a big, blotter-sized calendar from one of the big boxy stores every year, which also serves as a good reminder of the things that you need to get behind on doing.

You aren't going to get a finish hard enough to resist the ball point. BTW,"Rock Hard Varnish" by Behlen is quite soft. I found that out back in the 70's. I had a relationship with some of their chemists back then,from my experiments with making varnish. One of them told me that they named it Rock Hard because it resisted alcohol. That NEVER made sense to me,as the stuff is VERY SOFT.

The hardest thing I know of is well dried(for years) Nitrocellulose lacquer. But,I'd also just recommend the blotter,or put a sheet of glass over it!!

Give the person a fountain pen to go w/ the desk.

Its actually a kitchen table, but it also, mostly, used as a desk. This is just for my use, so I can be careful.

Was hoping there might be an ancient solution.

As I said, the hide glue sizing might have provide a benefit here. I'll do a sample.

Here most of the wooden kitchen tables have a glass sheet on top of them, but I'm not sure if it's common practice in the West.

If the glass is well supported it's basically impossible to crack it, you have to hit it with a hammer or overheat it. It's the best solution for writing, it's very easy to clean anything you spill on it, and it will leave the cherry grain in plain sight while protecting the wood forever. Also it's cheap.

but don't hard finishes (shellac, lacquer) tend to show scratches much easier than soft finishes like poly?

totally random thought, but i know that baseball bats used to be boned i.e. rubbed hard w/ a bone of bottle or something. Supposedly it prevents any denting and flaking. not quite sure how to do a table top that way though.....you'd need a really big bone!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Stephens View Post
    but don't hard finishes (shellac, lacquer) tend to show scratches much easier than soft finishes like poly?

totally random thought, but i know that baseball bats used to be boned i.e. rubbed hard w/ a bone of bottle or something. Supposedly it prevents any denting and flaking. not quite sure how to do a table top that way though.....you'd need a really big bone!
    Pre-compress the fibers with a sledge

Not necessarily. Hard surfaces like my waterlox counter will abrade and scratch easily with anything rough. But it resists DENTS pretty well - like ball point pens or pencils through a piece of paper.

That being said, I still try to use a magazine under when I have to write. My son is not so careful.

Since you've got a nice cherry table top, make or buy a leather blotter to go with it. Not only will it look classy, but it will also be very pleasant to use for writing, and, of course, will protect your table top.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrije Stamenkovic View Post
    Here most of the wooden kitchen tables have a glass sheet on top of them, but I'm not sure if it's common practice in the West.

If the glass is well supported it's basically impossible to crack it, you have to hit it with a hammer or overheat it. It's the best solution for writing, it's very easy to clean anything you spill on it, and it will leave the cherry grain in plain sight while protecting the wood forever. Also it's cheap.
    +1. That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

Blog Entries
    Ron Popiel's cherry wood hardener!?! Cherry is not the hardest of surfaces for a desk. Great for a table but, as yours is serving double duty I would use a blotter or do my writing on pads of paper with a cardboard backer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler