Thread: Working Height

Question Working Height

One of Raffans' books suggest having the lathe center about 2" above your elbow when standing naturally. Mine is currently lower than that, and does feel like it should be higher.
    Where do you folks have the center, (for a referfenc point), in relation to your elbow?
    Do your change your working height for different types of work?

Every thing I've read suggests having the center of the spindle at elbow height. Did that for years. Now I have it 1" higher. This seems to suit my style. Each to his own.

Mine is about elbow height. For spindle and bowl work, it does not seem critical to me; for hollowing with hand held tooling, it is much more important. Hollowing tools need to be held level and this is much easier when the lathe height is right.

I find higher then elbow height works better for me
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Hollowing has been the most the most inconvenient effort for me at the current height. My little Jet doesn't allow projects with a lot of manuvering room. Looks like I should try it at level with, or a bit above center and see how that works.

Mostly, you want it at a comfortable height for you so you don't have to bend over to turn. This will vary a bit depending on how you hold your tools. I hold mine pretty much level when turning, and feel more comfortable when the center is a little above elbow height. If you drop your handles a bit, or a lot, you might be more comfortable with it a little lower. If you are turning mostly spindles, it tends to be a bit higher for comfort. For hollowing, I think most want it a bit above elbow height. Yes, this does mean that you may need a couple of lathes rather than just the one.....

robo hippy

" Yes, this does mean that you may need a couple of lathes rather than just the one..... "

robo hippy

Well that really is a shame!

Add one more entry to my rationalization list!!

James the thing is Robo is correct. My 18"160 General is above my elbow about 1". My Vega 2600 bowl lathe is around 1 1/2" to 2" below my elbow. Now my Union Graduate is right on my elbow height cause I plan on using it for hollowing by hand and small bowls.
    Did I mention Tools are Fun....
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.