Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen cabinets

Kitchen cabinets

We have wanted to re-do our kitchen for years. We can no longer put it off. Our old fridge died and the wife wanted a new large one. So our small kitchen has a very large fridge now, but we love it.
    I had always pictured us making the carcasses with 3/4" pre-finished ply What is everyone's thought of using 1/2" pre-finished ply? We are in the age group where things are much heavier than before. So we are looking for a way to make the cabinets lighter. Many pre-fabed cabinets are 1/2" stock, mostly particle board.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matter.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

John,

I would go with pre-finished 3/4.

Better screw hold at the joints, and fewer problems attaching to the studs.

Better screw hold at the door hinges.

Easier to keep shelves straight/flat.

A stack of dinner plates, salad plates, and bowls becomes quite a load.

A more solid base for attaching the counter top.

You may want light, but the next owner will likely be seeking quality/longevity.

Bit of a different direction, but you might consider buying IKEA cabinets and just making the doors and drawers yourself. IKEA makes a very nice cabinet as long as you don't mind white Melamine (which I actually prefer for a kitchen so I have no problem with it). You would save a ton, no, actually, several tons, of schlepping plywood and plywood parts around. I'm sure there are other alternatives; I think I read somewhere where some company will CNC all your parts for you and ship them in nice size packages.

I was reasonably young when I built our kitchen and I swore then I'd never build another unless I bought the boxes. There's no joy in cutting, finishing, and assembling boxes. To me, the savings didn't justify the pain. At this point in life, I would definitely buy the boxes.

John

I see no reason why 1/2" boxes would be a problem. I'd go with 3/4" shelving and doors, but 1/2" boxes are not uncommon.

Another method of lighting up the boxes is to use 1/4" ply tops on the uppers. Not typical but I see little downside and it would further lighten the boxes.

Perhaps someone with 1/2" carcass experience will jump in here.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

1/2" melamine tends to stay flatter than 1/2" prefinished ply. You can design around this. You can if you want to keep the ply in line by running grooves in the backs of your face frames, full-width or narrow with a tongue on the ply. Biscuits works for this too.

CabParts over Ikea. They'll make your parts out of whatever 19mm or 16mm material you like. http://cabparts.com/products-cabinetboxes.html

Breaking down sheet goods for even a small kitchen is damned hard work without a panel saw.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 07-08-2014 at 5:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Bit of a different direction, but you might consider buying IKEA cabinets and just making the doors and drawers yourself. IKEA makes a very nice cabinet as long as you don't mind white Melamine (which I actually prefer for a kitchen so I have no problem with it). You would save a ton, no, actually, several tons, of schlepping plywood and plywood parts around. I'm sure there are other alternatives; I think I read somewhere where some company will CNC all your parts for you and ship them in nice size packages.

I was reasonably young when I built our kitchen and I swore then I'd never build another unless I bought the boxes. There's no joy in cutting, finishing, and assembling boxes. To me, the savings didn't justify the pain. At this point in life, I would definitely buy the boxes.

John
    I'm with John and go with Ikea boxes and drawers. You can add you own touch on the doors and drawer fronts.

Check this site out.

http://www.semihandmadedoors.com/

It's a local LA shop that makes custom veneer door fronts for Ikea cabinets. They charge a lot but I'm sure you a similar great look for less. And you would save a whole lot of time not making repetitive cabinet and drawer boxes.

If you are open to Euro style/frameless cabinets you can install the boxes one at a time. A lot less weight to deal with than a run of face frame cabinets. I haven't used 1/2 material for cabinets but there are plenty out there.

I regularly use 1/2" cabinet grade veneer ply for tack trunks and other cabinetry projects...glue and screw...with no issues. It's easy to add "beef" where needed without using the heavier, thicker 3/4" material. But many folks prefer 3/4" stock. 1/2" is less expensive and sheet goods with quality veneers are pricy even at "wholesale".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I would stick with 3/4" ply. Do you really want to skimp on what could be your most used and admired WW project? And go frameless as mentioned so you can hang one box at a time. No shame in euro style cabs.

And can you find prefinished ply in the wood you really want in your kitchen? Only place I used it was in my drawer bottoms as only Maple was available to me prefinished and I wanted Hickory.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-09-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    CabParts over Ikea. They'll make your parts out of whatever 19mm or 16mm material you like. http://cabparts.com/products-cabinetboxes.html

Breaking down sheet goods for even a small kitchen is damned hard work without a panel saw.
    I am planning a kitchen remodel also, so I looked at the site you linked to. It looks like they use 1/4 inch backs set in a groove. I was going to download the catalog, but it looks like they require you to be a business to buy from them or download their catalog. Anyone else used this company?

Just add that your business name is “Your Name" Woodworking and that’s typically all Cab Parts needs. Ordering is super easy but they expect you to have your act together about what you want. I think the business name language on the site is to discourage would-be DIY types that they don’t want to do a lot of hand holding with. Great people, feel free to call them with any questions: 1 888 398 1804.

There’s also Cabinet Outsource in Southern CA. They'll make pretty much anything you want, flat pack it and ship to your job site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    John,

I would go with pre-finished 3/4.

Better screw hold at the joints, and fewer problems attaching to the studs.

Better screw hold at the door hinges.

Easier to keep shelves straight/flat.

A stack of dinner plates, salad plates, and bowls becomes quite a load.

A more solid base for attaching the counter top.

You may want light, but the next owner will likely be seeking quality/longevity.

For all of the above reasons - My take on this question exactly and my reasons for using 3/4 ply for cabinetry - and most often - pre fin ply for kitchens and baths. 1/2" ply for the backs.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

All the cabs we make are 1/2" pf. It's perfectly fine and never a probem. 3/4 is just way overkill. With good construction details a 1/2" carcass will last the life of many kitchens.

Dont waste your time, money, and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    If you are open to Euro style/frameless cabinets you can install the boxes one at a time..
    I'm curious why you feel FF cabs cannot be hung one at a time? I do it all the time.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.