Thread: Nasty Surprise

Nasty Surprise

I thought I had a pretty good form going on this Norfolk Island Pine vase, approx 8-1/2 x 9. I'd just gotten a good start on hollowing up under the shoulder when I had what I thought was a pretty significant catch. Turned out to be a piece of heavy guage steel wire embedd in the wood. Guess someone had used it as a guy and it had gotten completely enclosed in the wood. I tried to pull it out, but no joy. This is only the second time I've ever hit a metal object when turning. Is it worth buying a metal detector?

Vase wire2.jpgvase wire3.jpgVase wire1.jpg

2. I am surprised the form held together when you hit that wire! Glad you are safe, and not injured! Very nice hollow form! This has a story and it should make it all the more valuable .......at least from a sentimental standpoint! Nice work Roger!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dang!. That could have been a disaster. That isn't blood in the bottom of the vase, is it?

Not a detector but a cutting torch would be nice. My specialty is barbed wire and hardened screws. I have cut several in two and hidden the joint with double cuts or wire burns and then charge extra for the embellishment.

If I were you, I would get a detector. You were lucky this time. Next time, parts that can hurt you badly could be flying around; not to mention the damage to your gouges.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

It has happened to me a couple of times on the lathe, more often with chainsaw or band-saw. Not sure that a detector would be worth the trouble or that trusting it to find everything would be good either.

Thanks for the comments. No, it's not blood in the bottom of the vase, just some Watco I splashed on the outside.
    I like the idea of leaving the wire and charging more for the novelty/embelllishment. I'm just afraid someone will stick their finger in to see how smooth the inside is and then I will have blood on the bottom. I think this one will stay on the shelf at home.

Most detectors I have found only go 1 1/2 to 3" into the wood and there EXPENSIVE $$$. Glad everythings ok.
    I hit a 4"l by 1/4" dia screw hook with my McNaughton corer.Now that's a fun one, no one want to do.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I use one before I chain saw and band saw. Lost a blade from each before I started but haven't even found a nail since I started using it. . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I ran into a nail this weekend while turning the bottom side of an ogee bowl. Luckily I was able to part down on each side of it with a Bedan tool til the grooves were deep enough to pull the nail out. Didn't lose any depth on the thing either. It was touch and go for a while though.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain