Thread: American beauty long bed or standard bed???????

American beauty long bed or standard bed???????

Getting ready to pull the trigger on this and need some users thoughts.
    Would like american beauty owners thoughts on the option of a long bed over a standard bed.
    I do mostly bowls and am venturing more heavily into hollow forms.
    I dont do overly large objects nor do any spindle turning except the occasional pen or rolling pin.
    Right now I am using a 3520b it can handle most of what i want it to do.
    Might be ill advised to change lathes but why not huh????
    Lets try to keep the replies on subject please.

Allen, I have the AB standard bed and it works for the size of HFs that I turn. There have been a few times I wish the bed was a couple of inches longer but that has been rare. One thing to consider - seeing as how you plan on venturing into hollow forms - is that whatever hollowing system you plan on using (assuming it is not hand-held) will take up some of the bed real estate. The deeper the form, the more bed you require. Should you decide to really go large, then you will most likely pick up a larger hollowing system, one that uses a stand-alone mount and the bed of the lathe no longer becomes a problem.

At this point, the largest forms I turn are around 16" deep and that is pushing the depth limits of my Monster hollowing system, even with the custom 1" boring bar. Steve Sinner has a system that will allow you to turn huge HFs... but for now, you have to consider available room in your shop and just how large of forms you envision turning. Remember... you have to have a market or a place to store the larger forms!

If you have any questions about the AB, please ask, send a PM or email. Great lathe - you will love it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Allen,

I have a 3520A and if I hollow something deep, I can get close to the end of my bed.

It seems from the specs that the short bed is listed as 28" between centers. The Long Bed is 52". I would prefer the long bed for the variability it would give me. If I want to turn walking sticks, wands for giants, etc; I can. The sliding head stock gives you the ability to shorten things up for comfort.

My only 2 questions: Do you have the space? The long bed will be a big lathe.

Using the 3520b, you could put a bed extension on that is dropped lower, purchase an extra banjo and post and be turning 30" bowls. The extra 5" on the standard swing won't make much difference with the above adjustment. How often you turn over 20" will be a factor.

So why drop 6k+ for an upgrade you can do for ~$800?

Good luck with your choices.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    Allen,

I have a 3520A and if I hollow something deep, I can get close to the end of my bed.

It seems from the specs that the short bed is listed as 28" between centers. The Long Bed is 52". I would prefer the long bed for the variability it would give me. If I want to turn walking sticks, wands for giants, etc; I can. The sliding head stock gives you the ability to shorten things up for comfort.

My only 2 questions: Do you have the space? The long bed will be a big lathe.

Using the 3520b, you could put a bed extension on that is dropped lower, purchase an extra banjo and post and be turning 30" bowls. The extra 5" on the standard swing won't make much difference with the above adjustment. How often you turn over 20" will be a factor.

So why drop 6k+ for an upgrade you can do for ~$800?

Good luck with your choices.

brodie
    right now i have the bed extension for the 3520b and have used it once for turning off the end.
    space is not an issue and i dont envision turning anything or a spindle nature.
    yea and there is the rub. do i want to drop 7000 or more on a shiny new toy???

steve, thank you for your input as well presently i am using a monster articulated system and love it.
    i have no market for my turnings as it is just a hobby to me not a way of life or way to make money.
    occasionally i will sell a bowl or two but mostly find more pleasure in making things and giving them away.
    sounds like i need help doesn't it??
    trying to justify purchase at this point. rather spend it while I'm making it than when I'm on a more fixed income.

I stepped up to the Beauty from my 3520A some 6 or so years ago. On the PM, I had just enough room between centers to turn a 30 inch long table leg. Any thing over that, forget it. I look at the extra length like I do the extra diameter, I will probably never need the max dimensions, but I have them in case I ever do. I will be turning myself a cane in a few weeks (had the hips done, now getting a knee done after labor day). I would not have been able to do it on my PM without a bed extension.

robo hippy

Allen,

I have the long bed AB just having the extra real estate to play with was worth the extra money for me. Not that much difference in money in the big picture. If you have the room go for it.

Alan

Cheaper to buy the long bed now then later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I don't own a AB but I turn on a friends frequently. It's a older one that has a bed extension for extra length. Both the owner and myself need the extra length frequently. It's definitely worth having on a lathe of it's capacity.

Allen: I've got the standard bed AB - as Steve mentioned, I can hollow to about 16" with a home-built Jamieson hollowing rig. Might be able to stretch that an inch if I tried. That's plenty for my ambitions in hollow forms. I produce bowls for the most part.
    There is another option besides going to the long bed - Brent now offers a 16" bed extension that is attached to the headstock end of the lathe bed and cantilevers out from there. Don't know about using the full 16", but if you only need 8 or 10 it seems like a good option.

That is my dream lathe. I'll get the long bed when I make the move. I doubt that you will wish you DIDN'T have the long bed!

I would definitely get the long bed if I had money for the lathe assuming space is available. You likely won't need it very often but the few times you do need it will seem like a lot if you don't have it.

I bought the AB Long Bed - got it home about 6 weeks ago. First weekend I had it home, the grandkids were over and I made my grandson a baseball bat. Wouldn't have been able to do that with the short bed.

All that said, it does take up a lot of room. I have a 24x30 shop building and it essentially takes up almost 1/2 of a 24-foot end - the rest of the space in that end is an overhead door and the entry door.

I got my AB a couple of months ago and went through this same mental exercise at the time I was ordering. I felt the standard bed might be somewhat limiting at times (not often, but perhaps once in a while...maybe...possibly) and had plans on getting the long bed iteration. Just prior to placing my order I learned of the new bed extension. That was the answer for me. I was concerned that the long bed might prove to be too big of a monster, especially if I ever downsized my shop. Unlike previous generations of the AB long bed, the long beds that Robust are making now are a single piece - thus they will always be a long bed. The nice thing about the bed extension is that, as it is removable, the lathe can morph back into a standard bed length if the need (or preference) ever arises. Thus it offers some versatility that the long bed does not while at the same time approaching the length of the long bed. The bed extension gives me a happy middle ground with the advantage of being removable.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

My ideal lathe, in addition to variable speed and reversing and fully capable for outboard turning (or sliding headstock), would accommodate 60-65" between centers, long enough for a medium height bed post. Anything longer I'd do in two pieces.