Thread: Fir workbench?

Fir workbench?

I've always wanted to build my own wood working bench. I had a store bought Craftsman (stamped steel frame) that I have been using for 10+ years and was never fond of.
    I recently came across a section of OLD bleachers that I helped demo. They are fir from a local arena built in the 60's. I saved about 40-50 1" X 12" X 20' "just to have" and am now thinking of a work bench.
    I searched the forum and see people have used fir for a project like this, but mostly store bought 2x's.
    Any thoughts? Input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Im one of the guys who used 2x4s, glued face to face, for my benchtop. I cant see any reason you cant do the same thing with your 1x12", though I wouldnt make the top any thicker than 4-6" unless you never (ever) plan to move it.

If I had it to do again, Id glue it up in two 12" sections (just wide enough to fit my planer) - trying to glue and clamp all those boards at the same time was a REALLY dumb idea and it took a lot of work to flatten with hand planes.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I'd start ripping and gluing. If you don't have a thickness planer, it's a good opportunity to justify one.

My 10 year old Delta lunchbox planer gave up the ghost and I bought a new one. I had a choice between the DeWalt 734 and the 735. I checked reports and bought the 734.

It is bulletproof. I've run 8/4 X 10 white oak, maple and cherry. It handles all of it.

I think folks agonized too much over their benches (I raise my hand here) but it is natural. Benches are utilitarian and should be treated as thus. I don't think your bench should be a fine piece of furniture--it should be used to create that fine furniture. Build it out of reasonable material that won't cost you an arm and a leg. I think fir would be great and you got the wood for free it sounds like. It also sounds like it might be old growth with tight rings and so might serve you very well. Throw a hardboard top on it that you can replace if you're worried it might be on the soft side for a bench but I think it'll work great! Have at it!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Here's my fir bench

TheBench.JPG
    Built with reclaimed floor joists. It's about 6 months old and is working great.

Paul

Is the fir painted or varnished? Lead paint wasn't outlawed in the US until the late seventies, so I'd be cautious about milling painted lumber from the sixties.

I used hemlock 4x4 (hemlock is similar to fir and often sold as "hemfir") for my bench legs and 2x4 studs for the rest of the base frame. It's held together with 3/8" threaded rod running through and bolted onto the legs. It's very sturdy. The top is particleboard covered and edged with tempered hardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Is the fir painted or varnished? Lead paint wasn't outlawed in the US until the late seventies, so I'd be cautious about milling painted lumber from the sixties.
    No, the wood is varnished. I'll plane and joint and saw and glue and screw....it'll be some undertaking but I sure am looking forward to it!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I made my bench from reclaimed doug fir, checks and all. no need to screw anything glue is good enough. LINK This thread shows my bench build and what the wood looked like before I started. A lot of work but very satisfying in the end. Also ended up with a fantastic bench with an interesting story. Enjoy the process. The hardest part for me was getting started. Once I got going most of the anxiety went away.

Randy...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    They are fir from a local arena built in the 60's
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    It also sounds like it might be old growth with tight rings and so might serve you very well.
    This is where I'm coming from. This stuff could be very special indeed.

So for your bench, are you talking about ripping these boards into say, 2 1/2" strips and gluing the sides together to make a 2 1/2" (or 2 1/4" after truing) top? Sounds awesome to me.

As Chris said, if the rings are tight, this would be some seriously tough and stable wood. The likes of which you might have a difficult time finding today.