Thread: Walnut Spice Chest

Walnut Spice Chest

This is a Walnut Spice Chest I built for my wife as a jewelry chest. I had built an Arch Top Spice Chest 2 yrs ago for my oldest daughter and of course when I was done my wife said she wanted one. The top and door panels are from a nice piece of figured walnut I had been keeping for something just like this. The drawer fronts are walnut burl veneer. This was actually my first time veneering something. This chest and the arch top one were a build that Charles Neil did on his Mastering Woodworking site. I changed the door panels to the two tombstone panels because I had seen a picture of one Lonnie Bird did and liked the way it looked. I also changed around the drawer configuration as the LOML wanted two drawers to hang necklaces. The finish is a coat of light brown dye to even out the color of the walnut. Followed by a coat of shellac, then finished with Target's EM2000. I had a lot of fun building this and so far my wife loves it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks nice Robert,I will not be showing the cabinet to my wife.I know what she will say, and I would a hard time making one as nice as yours.Thanks for sharing.Andrew

That's a beautiful chest, Robert. However, if she's got enough jewelry to fill that cabinet, it's hard to understand how you can afford such beautiful wood.

It's got a lot of class. I love the extra wide and nicely shaped panel cut-ins and the defining of the burly drawers and doors with the (I guess) maple dividers.

Robert, very nice indeed. I need to make one for may wife.might you show the jewelry hangers or slots inside? Inside did you put velvet or suede or ?
    Very nice job, Patrick

Beautiful chest. Love all the looks! I am sure she will enjoy it always.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I am in the process of finishing the insides of the drawers. I am lining them with velvet. Once I am done with the velvet I will post some pictures of that and the jewelry hangers. Thanks.