Thread: Need direction on finishing an outdoor table

Need direction on finishing an outdoor table

Hey guys, I am hoping I can get some good direction for finishing a wood table that we keep outdoors under a large covered patio. After several years of being outdoors the finish was looking pretty rough. So I decided to refinish the table. It has turned into quite the project.

Here are a couple of before pictures to give an idea of what I am working with.

IMG_3497_zpsdab2fe36.jpgIMG_3495_zps0bb9be91.jpg

So far I have stripped the tabletop which has turned out good. I'm looking for recommendation/direction on what to finish the table with that will be durable for outdoors but still look good. This table is under a large covered patio so it is not exposed to rain/precipitation, just the open air. I live in the Dallas area so summers get to about 100 and winters get right near freezing. Any direction including references to other discussions are greatly appreciated.

-Chris

My first reaction is that the table looks like it is a veneer, not solid wood. If so, veneer is susceptible to damage due to being exposed to exterior conditions even if it will not be getting wet. The amount of humidity can affect the adhesive used to attach the veneer to the substrate. Most adhesives used are not designed to be exposed to heat, cold and moisture.

If you are dealing with a veneered item, most finishes will not be very durable and you may expect fairly frequent re-work.
    Howie.........

Its not the heat, its the humidity.

You are right Howard, the main portion of the table has a veneer top layer. The edges are the only wood.

It's a 16' table so the outside patio is the only possible home for it. Based on it being veneer, would an epoxy type approach be better from a durability standpoint? If so, would I stain it before pouring the epoxy?

Is it veneer or is it plywood? Looks like plywood to me. Exterior plywood (glue) would not delaminate as it appears this may be the cause of the ripples.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

>>>> would an epoxy type approach be better from a durability standpoint?
    Not really. epoxy must be protected from the UV in sunlight. Even shaded areas will get some amount of UV. Once the UV gets to it, the epoxy will begin to fail. It will crack and then begin to peel. Repairs are almost impossible. The epoxy should be over coated with UV resistant NON POLY exterior marine finish. Done correctly, this finish should last for a number of years but will ultimately fail. Give it a try.

The best suggestion I have is to have cover made using UV resistant material. Sunbrella material is the material used for most boating covers.
    Howie.........

Thanks for the insight Howie. I'll look into that route.