Thread: Hello again ! I've missed this place.

Hello again ! I've missed this place.

Well hello there,

I haven't been around in quite a while. As many of you know, back in March I fell on the job and was pretty badly hurt. I broke my left shoulder and had three 4" stainless screws holding it together for about a month so it could heal. Well, two surgeries and many weeks of physical therapy (at three times a week) I'm finally starting to feel much better. I'm still not 100% but have made good progress. At this point I feel that I'm about 80% of normal. They just cut me back to twice a week for PT. Who knows how long that will go on but at least I'm improving. I've really missed this place and look forward to participating again. I've got a LOT of catching up to do !

John

Blog Entries
    Welcome back John!!!!!!!
    Are you back at work, still taking it easy?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks Larry !

I'm back at work in a limited capacity at least. (Thank God, because I'm self employed so there was no w/c ) Actually just the day before yesterday the doc told me it would be ok to get back and finish the job I was on when I got hurt. Thankfully the customer has been very understanding. It's a walkout basement finishing job and I was in the process of installing the suspended ceiling. Not normally a very difficult job, but in my situation almost impossible. I'm about 75% done with the job and hopefully just a few more days and it'll be complete. Under normal conditions,there's only about 2 days work but it's going to be slow and steady work for a while. I don't want to push it and set my recovery back at all. I've been doing smaller "light duty" jobs for about a month though.

Thanks again.

John

John,
    I'm glad you found your way back...been wondering how you have been doing.
    You have some catching up to do!
    Steve

Wecome back John.....Take it easy.....Glad to hear of your improvements
    Jerry

welcome back john. wondered bout ya

i hadnt heard from you so wasnt sure what happened, thought maybe the puter died. glad to hear you gaining dont mess with the pt schedule take it all. i go tfriend who opted to come back early and still hasnt got al his movemnt back. the professionals know more about pt than us hard heads
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Welcome back John, You were missed and we all feel your pain! Hope you get to 98% soon-- We will never be 100% .
    Jerry

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome back. We missed you.Take easy and don't rush it.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Glad your back brother. Now you can be a weather man like me. keep gettin better.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Welcome back, and sorry to hear you got hurt. As others have said, don't push the limits too much yet. Also, keep in mind that you'll continue to improve long after the PT is "done". (I broke my back in a 30' fall nearly 4 years ago, and I'm still seeing improvement. There were many times I was ready to give up, figuring it'd never get any better, then sure enough, it would.)

- Vaughn

Thanks for the responses guys !

It's been tough but like I said I am getting better. I'm going to take all the PT that I can get. It is tedious but it does help. The doc and the techs at PT all say that I'm doing very well for the type of injury that I had. (I sheared the head end off of my left humerus and they had to screw it back together to heal) The surgery went well but I felt much better after the second surgery to remove the hardware. I'll tell ya one thing, this has really got me thinking about working alone ! It was a very scary experience. I was alone on the job and fell outside carrying materials down to a walkout basement. I laid there in the snow yelling for help but none came. I was in shock and after about 10 minutes I was finally able to get a signal on my cell and call 911. They got there just in time because I felt like I was about to pass out just as the EMTs pulled up. I think I may try to make sure that there is at least one other person on the job site from now on !

Well we're headed off to a little vacation tomorrow morning. We're going to stay at my brothers place in Carolina Beach, NC. He's got a nice rental house there that is right on the ocean. It'll give me a little more time to recover before I get back and finish that job. I went back a couple weeks ago and dropped off the rest of the material and did a little more prep work so I can complete the work. Let me tell ya, there were some eery flashbacks walking right over the spot where I fell. I'm gonna be MUCH more careful there from now on.

I'm taking my new laptop with us so if I can find a wireless hookup I'll let you know how the trip is going.

CYA soon folks !

John