Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: plow plane suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Zach, Thanks for the advice. You're right that 1/4" groove set 1/4" in would be ideal for a large portion of what I need. I'll start looking for an orphan groove plane. Have no background with them, I had no idea what to look for. I saw one that was marked 8/8. No clue what that meant. Another was listed as 1/2" with a 1/8" cutter. That made a little more sense but I'm not sure how far in the cutter groove would be (3/16", maybe?).

I'll start looking for a 3/4" with a 1/4" cutter. I always wanted to use a wooden plane, and the cost is refreshing
    The 8/8 plane would likely be intended for joining 1-in stock with tongue and groove. These planes are usually set up so that roughly 1/3rd of the intended width is the tongue, with approximately 1/3rd remaining on each side. So, a 8/8 plane will probably have a 3/8" iron set to make the groove between 5/16-in and 3/8-in in from the edge. I find the 1/4-in wide, 1/4-in in planes to be the most useful.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    The combination planes can be frustrating to use until you get some experience with them.

The Stanley 45 is a very versatile plane. For me the biggest draw back is the largish size. After finding a good deal on a Stanley 50 it has become my choice for drawer bottom grooves.

There are a lot of different 'plow plane' models that were brought to market. Many of them are less cost to acquire than a Stanley 45.

For my dado making, saws, chisels and a router plane can do quick work with better looking results than the Stanley 45. Most of the time my dados are stopped at one or both ends.

Another thing to consider is the Stanley 45 is the most common combination planes to find on the auction sites, flea markets, yard sales and such. Most of the parts are also commonly found. There are a few parts that are hard to find. Some can be bought as reproductions.

Here is one that likely will not get much action, item#141342573870 only has about a day to go. The good part is it is actually two planes. In reality, the #50 is likely worth more than the #45. The #45 is missing the proper depth gauge. It is an earlier type without a fence adjustment. It is also a bit rusty looking. With all of its faults it would still make a useable plow plane. The shipping seems a bit high to me, don't forget to factor that in if you do bid.

You would need to find a few blades which is easy.

If you really want a plane for dados, then you may want to consider something with a skewed blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The 45 has the beading stop where the normal depth stop should be and its missing the adjusting screw for the normal depth stop. Guessing the stop on the 50 is in the wrong place too. Shouldn't it be on the skate?

Still it might be a good deal for as low as it is now.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Here's a few photos of mine. And what's broken/cracked.

IMAG2115.jpg IMAG2120.jpg IMAG2121.jpg
    The collared/sholdered wing nut was split. No biggie, I just loosing and tap with mallet. Someday maybe I'll spend the few bucks to get a replacement, but not really that important. This loosenes/tightins the cutters.

And my skate is cracked and very slightly bent, but bent into what would be the freshly the grooved area, so I'm not too concerned.

IMAG2118.jpg IMAG2119.jpg

Note where my beading stop (on the skate) and the normal stop (on the main body) are.

Screenshot_2014-07-09_16-05-45.jpg
    Arrow pointing to normal stop with adjusting nut. Circled is the wing but that loosens the cutter.

Screenshot_2014-07-09_16-07-39.jpg
    Beading stop on skate. Mine is a 2 larger, able to slid closer to the cutter. Note how the stop is cut out around the iron/mouth of the plane.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 07-09-2014 at 5:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    The 45 has the beading stop where the normal depth stop should be and its missing the adjusting screw for the normal depth stop. Guessing the stop on the 50 is in the wrong place too. Shouldn't it be on the skate?

Still it might be a good deal for as low as it is now.
    Good eyes Judson. I didn't look that close. It looks to be the wrong stop thought it is in the usual place. Mine has a cut off 20d nail for a depth stop.

Looking at it again it looks like the 50 has been painted.

Neither of these planes looks to be "collectable." That may keep the bidding low.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

How about a craftsman combination plane that appears to be modeled after the #45? Is this one worth a shot? Item 131235484818. Might sell under $50.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Looks OK to me. Like the cutters it comes with. I haven't used my T&G cutter yet, but that one has 3.

Might be a good deal. Wonder if Stanley cutters would fit it? I'd think you could make em though if you wanted.

I picked up a Stanely 12-250 Combination Plane a while back --- very pleased w/ it, just wish that I'd bought the balance of the cutters from Stanley while they were still in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I've been looking around at the usual places for something to make grooves and such. I very much like the size and design of the Veritas plow plane but the price put it out of range for me. I like looks and size of the record 043. ... 1/8" - 3/8" grooves up to 1/2" deep would cover my needs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ...The Stanley 45 is a very versatile plane. For me the biggest draw back is the largish size. After finding a good deal on a Stanley 50 it has become my choice for drawer bottom grooves....
    I have a Marples M44 plow, which is the same as the Record 044 and similar to the Stanley 50, which I would consider a "medium" size between the Stanley 45 and the Record 043. I have small hands and like the M44 all in all, but I'm not sure I'd want to go any smaller. For price, nothing could touch Zach's suggestion of a wooden grooving plane. Occasionally wooden plows with adjustable fences are not too expensive if they are not a well-known name and only have one iron.

m44-plough.jpg marplesm44-groove.jpg

Blog Entries
    How about a craftsman combination plane that appears to be modeled after the #45? Is this one worth a shot? Item 131235484818. Might sell under $50.
    I think that is the Sargent model (1080 ?) branded for Sears.

It did sell for under $50.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I think that is the Sargent model (1080 ?) branded for Sears.

It did sell for under $50.

jtk
    I tapped out at $46.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Japan Woodworker carries a Chinese-style plow plane with 5 irons (1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 3/8" and ½") for about $65.
    I've used mine for around 10 years and have always gotten good results with it. Although there's a bit of a learning curve getting used to its quirks (but nothing like a 45 or a 55....), it's easy to use, and the irons are of nice quality steel and hold an edge well.
    Probably the best value on the market today for a new plow plane.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

I've seen these but people seem to complain that there is no depth stop. How is the depth adjusted?

Out at the local flea market today, saw two 45's, one of them also had its wing nut split apart. Might be somewhat common, something to be aware of when shopping.

There is no depth stop other than the operator....
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)