Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plow plane suggestions

plow plane suggestions

I've been looking around at the usual places for something to make grooves and such. I very much like the size and design of the Veritas plow plane but the price put it out of range for me. I like looks and size of the record 043. The only downside I can see with the small plow planes in the don't have knickers for cross grain work. However, that's the only real advantage I can find for a combination plane like the Stanley 45. 1/8" - 3/8" grooves up to 1/2" deep would cover my needs. Being able to make at least 1/2" x 1/2" rabbets would be a big bonus but not critical. Drawer bottom grooves and frame and panel grooves are the most common uses I'm envisioning.

I don't really have my mind sent on any particular solution. I'd happily consider a wooden plow or a vintage metal combination or whatever. Mostly I need it to be cheap. I don't need a plow or grooving plane. I want one so I can avoid using my router table more often.

As I look at eBay and the antique dealers, I'm shocked at the prices. $100 and up with some going for $1000! Most that look usable with a couple cutters were over $150. Is this really what they go for?

I had assumed I could find something in the $50-$75 range in user condition. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to look for and what I should realistically expect to have to spend.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Daniel,
    Make your own. There was a fine tutorial here not too long ago on making them.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Make your own. There was a fine tutorial here not too long ago on making them.
    David's grooving plane tutorial? I do want to make one at some point but it's a one trick pony (fixed distance). Moreover, I don't have or want to make the iron.

For now, I'm looking for something that I can adjust the distance and hopefully use different size irons. 1/4" would be the most typical but 1/8", 3/8" are pretty commonly needed.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Doesn't have to be a fixed fence, but I guess the width of the cutter is somewhat fixed.

jxxx-1395871.jpg itab1-1309828.jpg

But, I'd look for a Stanley 45. I bought a lot (4 items) a few months ago for about $90 and with the multiple of cutters (different sized straight and molding) I'm very happy, not a one trick pony.

Edit: Looking back at my own thread I paid $114 for the lot, not sure how'd you determine how much was for the 45
    Last edited by Judson Green; 07-09-2014 at 2:13 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I have a couple of old English wooden plough planes with 8 vintage irons. They work great. You can find them for much less than I paid for I'm sure, I was in Italy when I bought them and most of the expense for me was the shipping.

Here is one, paid £12+£17 ($50) on ebay

$_57.jpg

The big problem with my other plow plane, the first I bought, was that the rear skate was moving under the pressure of the wedge. So it became lower than the front skate and it was basically impossible to use because then I had to set the iron too deep. I've read about this problem on this forum and it is fixable, but I suggest you look for a riveted skate instead of a screwed one, with rivets going through the width of the plane's body: it will avoid you a lot of pain.

To cut rabbets I also have a fillister plane, which is basically a skewed rabbet plane with a fence and a nicker, also works great and it's cheap, I won it for £0.99 on ebay.co.uk plus £9 shipping (totally $17)

Stanley 45 will work fine as a plow plane. Try to find one with irons. If you get one decent with a full set of irons ($100-$150 if it includes the box or boxes for cutters, etc and is in good shape), you'll have a setup that you can sell later if you decide you want to use a more dedicated plow plane, or if you find an old woody with its original irons.

The Stanley 45 seems to be the most common recommendation. Tons of them were made so they are readily available. Irons and add-ons seem to be available as well. Patrick Leach appears to hate the #45 as well as other metal combo planes but the people here who own them seem to like them well enough.

What should I look for in a #45 in terms of condition or missing parts? What should I watch out for?
    -- Dan Rode

One option to keep in mind is to look for the grooving half of a tongue and groove plane set. They rarely are found together (both planes of the set I mean) and this is a great use for the orphaned groove plane. You can make your drawers with a 1/4-in groove set in from the edge 1/4-in. And a lot of frame & panel work calls for 3/4-in stock, so the a grooving plane marked "3/4" will work for 90% of your needs. This is also why many wooden plows are found with the 1/4-in iron still installed; its the most commonly used size.

A usable orphaned grooving plane will cost you about $10 (and you won't have to make an iron), and many of the same fundamentals of wooden plow planes will apply so getting one working will be good experience should you decide you want a real wooden plow.

Plow planes are not intended to be used across the grain. So the lack of nickers is nothing to worry about. Grooves across the grain are called dadoes and there is a different type of plane for those. Or you can chisel them. Easy peasy.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 07-09-2014 at 1:25 PM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Jim K has a write up in the FAQ section

Judson, I looked in he FAQ earlier and again just now. I don't see anything about plow or combination planes. Maybe I'm missing it somehow?
    -- Dan Rode

Daniel, here's Jim's thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...04#post1176704

Here's one I starting asking about them, some good info.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...n-a-Stanley-45

Guess in the end your gonna havta trust your gut. Mine came with a broken/cracked, but still usable skate and the knob to tighten/loosing the iron was split, I'll upload a picture latter. I didn't know about those things when I bought it and doubt the seller did either.

Guess I'd look for a seller with lots of photos, one that deals mostly in tools or just a fantastic price you can't refuse.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 07-09-2014 at 2:15 PM.

Thanks Judson! I must have looked right at it and didn't see it. Old age, I guess...
    -- Dan Rode

Zach, Thanks for the advice. You're right that 1/4" groove set 1/4" in would be ideal for a large portion of what I need. I'll start looking for an orphan groove plane. Have no background with them, I had no idea what to look for. I saw one that was marked 8/8. No clue what that meant. Another was listed as 1/2" with a 1/8" cutter. That made a little more sense but I'm not sure how far in the cutter groove would be (3/16", maybe?).

I'll start looking for a 3/4" with a 1/4" cutter. I always wanted to use a wooden plane, and the cost is refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    One option to keep in mind is to look for the grooving half of a tongue and groove plane set. They rarely are found together (both planes of the set I mean) and this is a great use for the orphaned groove plane. You can make your drawers with a 1/4-in groove set in from the edge 1/4-in. And a lot of frame & panel work calls for 3/4-in stock, so the a grooving plane marked "3/4" will work for 90% of your needs. This is also why many wooden plows are found with the 1/4-in iron still installed; its the most commonly used size.

A usable orphaned grooving plane will cost you about $10 (and you won't have to make an iron), and many of the same fundamentals of wooden plow planes will apply so getting one working will be good experience should you decide you want a real wooden plow.

Plow planes are not intended to be used across the grain. So the lack of nickers is nothing to worry about. Grooves across the grain are called dadoes and there is a different type of plane for those. Or you can chisel them. Easy peasy.
    -- Dan Rode

One trick pony about 1860 eraIMAG0009 (800x600).jpgWith a movable fence....$16 at an antique store. IMAG0040.jpg getting ready to make a lot of grooves for a frame & panel chest build.IMAG0140.jpgIt do make a nice groove, thoughIMAG0141.jpg Tongues will be made with a Wards 78. Unless I can dial this other plane narrow enoughIMAG0144.jpgMaybe four passes on each face?

Zach, Thanks for the advice. You're right that 1/4" groove set 1/4" in would be ideal for a large portion of what I need. I'll start looking for an orphan groove plane. Have no background with them, I had no idea what to look for. I saw one that was marked 8/8. No clue what that meant. Another was listed as 1/2" with a 1/8" cutter. That made a little more sense but I'm not sure how far in the cutter groove would be (3/16", maybe?).

I'll start looking for a 3/4" with a 1/4" cutter. I always wanted to use a wooden plane, and the cost is refreshing
    -- Dan Rode