Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: plow plane suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I've been looking around at the usual places for something to make grooves and such. I very much like the size and design of the Veritas plow plane but the price put it out of range for me. I like looks and size of the record 043. The only downside I can see with the small plow planes in the don't have knickers for cross grain work. However, that's the only real advantage I can find for a combination plane like the Stanley 45. 1/8" - 3/8" grooves up to 1/2" deep would cover my needs. Being able to make at least 1/2" x 1/2" rabbets would be a big bonus but not critical. Drawer bottom grooves and frame and panel grooves are the most common uses I'm envisioning.

I don't really have my mind sent on any particular solution. I'd happily consider a wooden plow or a vintage metal combination or whatever. Mostly I need it to be cheap. I don't need a plow or grooving plane. I want one so I can avoid using my router table more often.

As I look at eBay and the antique dealers, I'm shocked at the prices. $100 and up with some going for $1000! Most that look usable with a couple cutters were over $150. Is this really what they go for?

I had assumed I could find something in the $50-$75 range in user condition. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to look for and what I should realistically expect to have to spend.
    For now, I'm looking for something that I can adjust the distance and hopefully use different size irons. 1/4" would be the most typical but 1/8", 3/8" are pretty commonly needed.
    Hi Daniel

One plane to do all? Grooves and cross grain rebates?

If so, forget the LV Small Plow (which is too expensive), as well as the Record #044 and #043. The Stanley #50 I think will join this group, as will most wooden plough planes.

The reason is that none of them have a nicker, which is needed for cross grain planing. Of course you could knife the lines, but a plane with a nicker is simpler.

There are only three planes that I know of that will do the job you ask: Stanley #45, #46 and #55 (or variants).

Personally, I would rather have a couple of dedicated planes than these for all tasks, although the #45 and #46 are good at grooving.

Try and find a cheap Record #044. It's a good small plough, and easier to adjust than most woodies (the weak area of almost all wooden ploughs is the fence, which requires careful set up). Add a rebate plane, such as a Stanley #78, which does have a nicker for cross grain work, and you are set up as you wished.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. I've been researching a bit as well as giving more thought to what I need. I'm starting to lean more toward a record 043. I think a dedicated small plow would cover most of my needs. I can make larger grooves or work cross-grain using other tools/methods.

I can get one in good condition with 3 irons through a dealer for about $85. I haven't seen these in the US on eBay, so I may need to pay the dealer price if I go that route.

As I look at the #45 and similar, it seems that are larger and heavier than I'd like and do some things I don't need. I'll take look at the #044 but it may be harder to source in the US than a similar Stanley. Is the #044 similar to the Stanley #50?
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 07-15-2014 at 9:53 AM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Dan, I've not used a Stanley #50, but it looks similar to the Record #044.

I like (and own) a Record #043 (actually, mine is a Rapier version). However it is not as user-friendly as the #044. The latter has a blade adjuster and handle for a better grip.

Regards from Perth

Derek