Awhile back, made a copy of GE Hong's Chinese Jack plane. Mine turned out to be about 18" long. Was having "issues" with the shavings clogging up the mouth. Got to picking around. Wedge was way too....FAT! shavings would come up throught the mouth, hit the fat wedge and just fold up right there. Took the wedge out, skinnied it down to almost a western style profile down at the edge of the iron. Mouth opening was a bit too tight, and angled a bit wrong. Chisel to improve the angle. From a squared straight up edge, to a more angled towards the front sort of thing. iron is still a PITA to set just right, at least for depth. It also ahs a slight camber to it. IMAG0143.jpgso I have started to use this LONG plane just like a jointer. It will be getting a workout in a bit. Lots of rough, recycled wood to mill down. I do have a "spare" iron that has no camber to it, might give it a try, as well.

This style of plane takes a bit too get used to, and to learn HOW to push them along. IMAG0142.jpgBoth hands are sitting just about here, with only the index fingers beside the opening ahead of the wedge. takes a bit of pratizing to get things just right. 18" long? Small jointer, or a Try plane?