Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glass Ornaments

UPDATE
    I am getting my ordering finalized with samples coming in. Question, I have seen some glass lasered with the image "suspended" within the glass. How is that done and what thickness does the material have to be?
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver

My understanding is that you have to use a YAG or Fiber laser, and decent quality crystal glass. You focus such that the focal point is inside the glass and that's where it makes a mark. You work layer by layer, bottom up, making a series of marks that come out to be a 3D image. It's basically engraving slices. I've never done it as I don't have access to YAG equipment, but that's my understanding of the process.
    170 watt pulsed CO2 laser from Vytek, 48x96" table
    90 watt XY galvo from Vytek
    32" hydraulic paper cutter
    30" Potdevin heated glue applicator with matching presser.

Blog Entries
    Michael,

I may be wrong, but I think the unit that does this actually has 2 laser beams working to do it. The machine aims both lasers so that they cross inside the material. Each beam by itself does not have enough oomph to change the material, but where they cross it does and it creates a tiny bubble. The machine moves on to the next point and does it again and builds the image that way. Or at least that was the last description of the technology that I saw.

Seemed like the comments I remembered about it were that it was cool stuff, but the cost of the machine and the time needed to make an image AND doing it commercially were tough.

Seemed like that was a year or so ago that I saw that. It may have developed more since then and become more cost effective?

Dave
    Last edited by David Somers; 08-07-2014 at 2:26 PM.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

4. I get my ornaments from Prism Crystal. Prices range from $2.10 to $6.00, I order the ones that are the least expensive and my customers love them. I have ordered some of the $6 ones and still have them, don't really care for them too much. And yes these are from China also, wish we could by USA, we definitely would if we could.
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

I believe that is another method... perhaps the first one, but I think it can be done with one beam now. Here is where I read about it:

http://www.bathsheba.com/crystal/process/
    170 watt pulsed CO2 laser from Vytek, 48x96" table
    90 watt XY galvo from Vytek
    32" hydraulic paper cutter
    30" Potdevin heated glue applicator with matching presser.

What I am looking at doing is not 3D. It is 2D with the image and/or text in the middle. Some call it 2.5D
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver

Blog Entries
    Kevin,

Look on the Epi web site. I believe they still have some examples of the technique. The one I am thinking of was to make a 2.5 d version of the letter E. Seemed like there was another as well. I think the example was on glass, possibly acrylic.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    Michael,

Cool! At least from the results in his samples that looks like a big improvement. Pretty intriguing stuff. Wonder what it actually costs. Something tells me it would be tough to make a living from that, but who knows. Pet rocks did it for someone. This might too. And this is cooler!! <grin>

Thanks for sharing the link!! I have saved it and will paw through it more carefully later!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Shipping from China can be expensive. I paid $26.50 to ship a circuit board from Hong Kong to Iowa via DHL air, shipped on Monday delivered on Wednesday, same week.
    That's actually pretty cheap! I've paid twice that for two day UPS from epilog to my shop!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it