Thread: Laser Engraver

Laser Engraver

I am a hobbyist that makes models using mostly Bass Wood and ABS plastics. I am looking to purchase a laser cutter to cut the wood that I cut by hand or jigsaw today. I have tested the Epilog and Universal lasers. Both would be excellent choices for me and easily cut 1/4 inch Bass wood I tested. I tested the 30w and 50w models. I preferred the 50w model as it cut the 3/8 inch bass wood slightly cleaner.

I always like to buy good quality tools as I look after what I buy and it always lasts me a long time. I am however struggling with the price at $18k for the 50w model I was looking at with an exhaust filter. I looked at other models and saw the Boss that I could purchase a 60w unit for $8k and they have a USA based office. I don't plan to use it a lot as I only do hobby work on Sundays so maybe 200 to 300 hours a year. I don't need speed. I don't need a lot of support and I am usually able to install and setup most types of tools myself.

I work with Corel Draw and Solid Works and like to be efficient, organized and produce quality. After reading most of the threads on this site I get the message I should stay away from Chinese lasers and glass tubes. I understand some of the reasoning but given my limited use is the extra expense worth while.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kevin

Blog Entries
    If your use is limited, have you considered farming the work out to another laser owner? You're not tied up with machine costs, but you still get a quality output/product.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for the idea, it is possible but it would mean planning my cuts in advance so I can mail or take them to a laser owner and then getting it back. Since I only do this mostly on Sundays it will mean a week each time I need to do something. But I like the Idea. I am in California, Palos Verde's if you know of anybody.

Thanks for the reply.

Blog Entries
    I'm having this moved to the Engraver's forum...

Only you can decide what's best for your business model. Can you deal with the frustration of Chinese-written/un-supported software? Can you troubleshoot techy stuff when it goes bad (and things often go bad)? Can you afford to have a machine (of any cost) down for an extended period of time? If none of the above fits you, then you need to go with a Western (and expensive) machine.

50W will give you significantly more freedom when it comes to cutting materials... 30W is a good starter if you mainly engrave. For the (relatively) minor cost difference between a 30W and a 50W cartridge, the usability far outweighs anything else... I'd get a 50W if I could afford it.

Kevin,

I sent you a PM. I am located about 15 miles from you.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Kevin I don't know where you are located, but I purchased a Chinese laser from Automation Technologies who are located in Chicago, and one of our advertisers here. Software is a challenge at times.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks for all the replies, I am still doing my home work and understanding my options, I will make a decision at the end of the month.

I think I am going to go for a 50W Trotec Rayjet 50 or Epliog Zing 24. They are similar in pricing, the Epilog being slightly cheaper. The biggest difference I can see is the cutting table size with the Rayjet at 18"x12" verse 24"x12". I also need a exhaust filter as I don't have a way to exhaust the system outside. I am looking for the best cut, consistency, least effort to manage and setup, reliable and low maintenance cost. Speed is not a big issue, I will be doing mostly cutting with a little engraving.

I will be cutting wood so I am looking for the least burn on the wood and best air flow.

Any thoughts ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Torf View Post
    I also need a exhaust filter as I don't have a way to exhaust the system outside.
    See my blog post on a filter setup... that should save you a few grand.

Contact Rabbit Laser. For less money you'll get a better machine for what you're doing and you're situation.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Torf View Post
    I always like to buy good quality tools as I look after what I buy and it always lasts me a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Contact Rabbit Laser. For less money you'll get a better machine for what you're doing and you're situation.
    I almost started this with "I'm not sure, but"... what I really mean is...

"I'm sure I wouldn't consider a Chinese machine better than a Trotec or Epilog. He can buy cheaper, but he can't buy better...