Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta Replacement Parts

About 10 years ago I ordered a part for my 13" Delta planer. Of course they don't make it anymore + they still haven't refunded my $$$.

At some point *every* manufacturer stops making parts for old models. Every one. Ford, GM, Westinghouse. Everybody. Why does everyone think the pieces and parts for a machine made 40 years ago should still be stocked and readily available? How many of those are going to get sold? And who could pay the cost for them to carry a part that long? For them, that inventory is money. And businesses need to make a return on their investment. It's why they're in business.

I'd like to think I can get parts for any of my things but the truth of the matter is when it's old, it's probably no longer supported. I do have a shop full of Delta machines. I'll be disappointed if the time comes that something has broken and a new part isn't available. OTOH, most often the kind of parts that fail are also fairly generic. Bearings, belts, electric motors, etc. Those things, if not available from the OEM, can probably be bought from someone else. Something that fits and works just like it.

So, step back, take a deep breath and move on. Eventually the machines made by whomever is in favor today are themselves going to be old, obsolete and unsupported. Will you then wish them to go belly up too?

Thanks so much for all the suggestion. They are very much appreciated.

I called Delta again this morning. I was told that no one from Delta is with the new company any longer I was transferred to a technician when I asked to speak with someone who would know where I can source substitutions. He didn’t answer and I left a message. He called me back later and left me voicemail about not having the parts any longer. He told me to contact RenovoParts.com.

I contacted RenovoParts. They said they might have one used bearing and a lead on a set of new bearings, but wouldn’t know until another parts person is back in tomorrow.

I also contacted Lynne with Accurate Bearing. Without a number (there are no numbers stamped on these bearings), she wasn’t able to help me and referred me to the OWWM forum. She said they had been documenting machines and part numbers. I checked the forum and my 1996 RAS is just not yet vintage enough to get attention on OWWM.

I did call back Leneave Supply, which was the name that Delta gave me the first time I called them, since they hadn’t got back with me for over a week. The fellow there said he felt confident he could locate the bearings, but would have to get back with me tomorrow.

There are a multitude of bearings that are a close resemblance to the bearings I need. The closest match to what I’m looking for are called “U-groove guide track roller bearings”. Unfortunately the groove I need is somewhere between a “U” and a “V”. I found Chinese operations selling numerous varieties on eBay. Unfortunately, none of the critical dimensions seem to come close.

My local bearing supplier speculated whether there is a rim attached to a standard bearing, like a pulley or sheave. I don’t have a bearing press, but that didn’t stop me from trying to remove the bearing from the rim on one of my bearings. Unfortunately, I now have one destroyed bearing. I went from having a saw that cut poorly to a pile of parts, unless I can locate at least one bearing.

Ed, I should have spent some time trying to tighten the bearings on the eccentric studs. However, I was observing noticeable rocking on three of the four bearings, which is why I was looking for replacements. I suspect the bearings could have been damaged when the previous owner moved the saw from Oregon to Colorado. I think the carriage might not have been secured during the move. I probably shouldn’t have purchased it, but I figured bad parts could always be replaced. Ha, little did I know.

As for the state of affairs with Delta, when I purchased my Unisaw 20 years ago, the choices were the Unisaw, Powermatic 66 or a Jet. The consensus at the time was to purchase the Unisaw since parts would always be available. At the time you could get practically every critical part for 50 year-old Unisaws. Considering I have a shop full of Delta [and DeWalt and Porter-Cable] equipment, I’m a very dissatisfied customer.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. I will be updating this thread with news of my adventure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    2 of the bearings are mounted on eccentric studs, that allows adjustment to remove play in the carriage. Did you try adjusting them? Those bearings usually don't go bad, they don't turn enough rpm's to wear out. The grease in them may dry out, but that's about it. 2 of my 3 ras's were used commercially (50's vintage), both still have the original carriage bearings. Ed
    Same thing with my two RAS's. You are more likely to wear flat spots on the rail ( which can be rotated to a new surface ) than wear the bearings out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post

As for the state of affairs with Delta, when I purchased my Unisaw 20 years ago, the choices were the Unisaw, Powermatic 66 or a Jet. The consensus at the time was to purchase the Unisaw since parts would always be available. At the time you could get practically every critical part for 50 year-old Unisaws. Considering I have a shop full of Delta [and DeWalt and Porter-Cable] equipment, I’m a very dissatisfied customer.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. I will be updating this thread with news of my adventure.
    I too have a shop filled mostly with Delta, DeWalt and Porter-Cable. I'll be watching this thread.

The fellow with Leneave Supply got back to me. He was able to find two bearings for me. That will at least get my saw working again after my fiasco. Considering I do have one tight bearing, maybe three tight bearings will keep the carriage riding true enough.
    Last edited by Sean Nagle; 07-10-2014 at 5:23 PM.

They are called track bearings if you google it. Clearly the bearing is one piece on the outer race. Is it a radius or a v groove? I can't tell in the photo. It appears to be a radius. Have you checked the Sears website in case they might have used the same bearings. Just a thought.

VXB has track bearings. You might check their site.

http://www.vxb.com/SRCH.html?Store_C...track+bearings

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    At some point *every* manufacturer stops making parts for old models. Every one. Ford, GM, Westinghouse. Everybody. Why does everyone think the pieces and parts for a machine made 40 years ago should still be stocked and readily available?
    I'm not asking them to go back 40 years, but it might be nice if they went back 10-15. If they can't do that, they aren't getting a pile of my money for a tool that should last 30yrs but will only get parts support for 10. And to make a realistic assessment of what constitute "parts likely to require replacement" and perhaps stock a small selection of those, not every part. What they have done is tantamount to divesting themselves completely of their past, and for me any good will that went with that. Slogan used to be "tools to last a lifetime?" I saw that in some old FWW. Maybe so, but the company has changed hands so many times, each new wave of bean counters has some brilliant plant squeeze a few more bucks out of the business, lost track of core values and customer service. My shaper was not an IPAD that goes obsolete in 18 months, it was a cast iron machine whose design was essentially unchanged since the 1940's, and it was less than 15 years old when they pulled the plug. "So could you tell me the thread pitch so I can have one made or sourced on that bolt?" Sorry sir, there is nobody here that knows ANYTHING ANYMORE was basically the answer. I can still get all the parts for my 20 yr old Nissan. Chevy still stocks parts for my 12 year old van, and many vehicles much older.

My point is some companies do this much better than they have, some tool companies like powermatic for instance continue to support older machines as much as it makes sense, so I continue to support them. I know parts is a liability, but if its one they can't manage effectively, they end up where they are now.

Maybe someone at Steel City would know. After all, a bunch of Delta Engineers went there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I'm not asking them to go back 40 years, but it might be nice if they went back 10-15. If they can't do that, they aren't getting a pile of my money for a tool that should last 30yrs but will only get parts support for 10.
    I have to say I'm with John on this one. It's all a matter of scale. Heck you can't buy a 100K farm tractor or piece of equipment barely that will guarantee parts production for 10 years. Auto makers don't make parts for the maximum lifespan of a vehicle. It's all about scale. If there is enough volume an outside manufacturer will make parts to get a return on investment. Someone maintaining an inventory of parts just arbitrarily is just crazy. If there is a demand, and the demand covers the cost of manufacturing and inventorying those parts, they will be there.

If there were enough demand for old delta parts for it to be a viable component of the business they would be available.

I agree it's not good customer relations but to think a company should inventory a large percentage of the components for a machine for 15, 20, 30, years is a bit of a stretch when your talking about such a low volume industry.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 07-11-2014 at 9:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post

I agree it's not good customer relations but to think a company should inventory a large percentage of the components for a machine for 15, 20, 30, years is a bit of a stretch when your talking about such a low volume industry.
    Mark, you are absolutely correct! Coming from the electronics world, I know that Japan(for example) don't repair much stuff. If as a reseller I order 20,000 of "x" model TV, I must order any spare parts I think I will need at the same time. A manufacturer will not retool a production line to make you one part or even a few hundred for that matter!

As mentioned above it cost money for storage facilities, inventory tax, etc to keep them. For low volume part, it is just not worth it, especially with today's shorter product life cycles.

I worked on RAS's among other things for nearly 40 years, and including my 40 year old Craftsman, have never changed a carriage bearing. Not much profit in keeping those in stock! Actually it would be a loss, financially!

13. Not to hijack this thread (but I am)...was able to find some small replacement parts for a recently acquired Delta TS (36-979) like a pulley cover, leveling foot, and dust chute direct from the Delta site, but there are definitely a good handful of products that I cannot find ANYWHERE. Specifically I am looking for a replacement foot (part # 651026-00) and have had zero luck. I would've thought this would be a more generic and readily accessible part but it's not, or that at least there would be a stash of a couple somewhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful!