Thread: My cheapo user saw

My cheapo user saw

I just wanted to show everyone my go to saw which I picked up at the local flea market. It looks just like it did the day I bought it 5 years ago. I didn't take time to clean it up since it is just a day to day user and didn't have to worry about sharpening it. The teeth are razor sharp and it is straight and cuts easy and true. The handle fits my hand like a glove and has no chips, cracks or dings. One of the last things I used it for was to cut down a 10" diameter tree. It is my favorite saw to work with. It is an old plane Jane saw, a Disston No. 16, 9 ppi, 26 inch working man's saw. I think it is worth every penny of the $6.00 I paid for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would not risk such a nice saw on tree cutting.

But then I have a multitude of saws including a chain saw from which to choose.

When it comes down to cutting wood during a project there really are only a few of my saws that get the majority of the work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry McGarrah View Post
    I just wanted to show everyone my go to saw which I picked up at the local flea market. It looks just like it did the day I bought it 5 years ago. I didn't take time to clean it up since it is just a day to day user and didn't have to worry about sharpening it. The teeth are razor sharp and it is straight and cuts easy and true. The handle fits my hand like a glove and has no chips, cracks or dings. One of the last things I used it for was to cut down a 10" diameter tree. It is my favorite saw to work with. It is an old plane Jane saw, a Disston No. 16, 9 ppi, 26 inch working man's saw. I think it is worth every penny of the $6.00 I paid for it.
    You're cutting down trees with that beauty? And you haven't had to sharpen it in five years? Dang, what's your secret?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I would not risk such a nice saw on tree cutting.

But then I have a multitude of saws including a chain saw from which to choose.

When it comes down to cutting wood during a project there really are only a few of my saws that get the majority of the work.

jtk
    +1 to Jim here. I really only use 2 or 3 handsaws and just a couple of backsaws in my work.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 07-10-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry McGarrah View Post
    It is an old plane Jane saw, a Disston No. 16, 9 ppi, 26 inch working man's saw. I think it is worth every penny of the $6.00 I paid for it.
    If this is your plain Jane saw, then what do you use for finer work? As far as I know the no 16 is one of Disston's better ones and relatively uncommon (http://disstonianinstitute.com/16page.html). I would keep that saw for carpentry or finer work.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

The 16 happened to be the only saw not in storage before our move and I had a tree needing to come down. The tree was dead and the saw sliced through it like it was a piece of soft pine. Normally I would have used my chain saw but it wasn't handy. I haven't done a lot of wood work where I needed to do extensive cutting so I haven't needed to sharpen it yet. I checked the teeth yesterday and they are still savagely sharp. Who ever sharpened it the last time was a real pro.

Hi Larry,

Nice old Disston! Kim, thanks for posting the link.

Like Kim, I think that the #16s were some of Disston's better saws. They only put the totes with wheat head carvings on the better saws. Of all of my saws that I can get to easily, only one has wheat head carving on the tote, and the Disston trade mark on the blade has long ago become unrecognizable, so I don't know which model it is. It does have a tote that is not quite typical of all the other Disstons I have, so sometime I should go though the stuff on the old Disstons and try to figure out which model it is.

Regards,

Stew

Hi All,

I again went out to look at my saw box, and found that more of my saws had wheat head carving. I didn't realize that only one side of the handle was carved. I had missed the saws that had the carving facing the wall. After again looking at the Disston information site, from the link, and I have been there many times in the past, I am even more convinced that Disston only put carving on their top of the line saws.

At any rate Larry, your saw is a real beauty, and in great shape! Cool! Thanks for sharing the picture!

Stew