Thread: Saw blades for SawStop table saw.

Saw blades for SawStop table saw.

There is a lot of varied opinion on what blades are ok on a SawStop table saw. The manual gives some general direction about not waxing or spraying a finish on blades, but it seems pretty non specific, and ambiguous to me.

Today, I had a brief e-mail chat with Amber at SawStop, and asked her about specific blades. I have several Freud Industrial blades with the red coating, and I asked specifically whether they are ok on the saw. She said they are fine, as the teeth are not coated. I then asked if I should sand off the coating around the arbor nut for a better ground, and she told me they should be just fine as is.

I asked also about a CMT blade with Teflon(?) coating, but she never got back to me on that one.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    I use a WWII, a Forest Rip blade, and an Infinity Ultra Thin Kerf. I think if you installed a blade that was coated so much that it presented a problem, it wouldn't recognize the blade at startup. I doubt if you would have a problem.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I can assure you the Sawstop brake will fire with an orange CMT blade installed. DAMHIKT :-(

You will not issue with any of these blades on the Sawstop and the brake will fire even if you touch the side (teflon coated) of the blade.
    You can test it by just touching it when the blade is not running. There are two ways SS detects flesh contact. It does not have to be the teeth (bare metal) part of the blade to detect it. Steve Gass (the inventor) explained it once here in a thread that I had asked the same questions.