Thread: 400 grit CBN wheel

400 grit CBN wheel

I received a flyer last week from Craft Supply that Raptor now is selling a 350 to 400 grit CBN wheel. It cost $235 for 8" wheel. I for one don't need that fine an edge, but I'm sure some will fine the lure too much. We've come a long way since the 46 grit saw tooth edge philosophy.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

2. Perhaps I might take a look at one whenever my 180 grit finally gets where it needs to be replaced..........I think an 80 grit and 180 grit is likely the best combination of grits.............don't know if 400 grit would enhance a cut..........if it makes a difference in the quality of the cut where it cuts back significantly on sanding, then sign me up!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Perhaps the sharper the edge the deeper the catch??
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I hone with a 600 diamond disc (6") that leaves a great edge. I also use stones and several coarser diamond grits for shaping. Sharp yeah. A fine plume of V10 dust can be seen coming off the disc so pressure is very light. I usually shape and then hone 4-6 times before regrinding.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 07-10-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Well, I had a 320 grit matrix style CBN wheel (grey mix of abrasive and bonding agent on a 1 inch wide aluminum hub) that I used for a bit. I now have the 180 grit CBN wheels. I prefer the 180. The 320 grit matrix wheel I have left a more polished surface for sure, but I don't think it cut any better. I have tried honing, and didn't find any benefits. I did try 220 to extra fine grit honing cards, and had pretty much the same results. When trying to get a burr on a scraper or my McNaughton coring tools, the 220 did leave a better burr.

robo hippy