Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using VoIP?

Both the OOMA device and the OBI 100 device plug into your Internet service and you plug a regular land line phone into the device. The OBI 100 requires a 3rd party VOIP service while OOMA includes their own VOIP service. I seem to recall reading that Google Voice made changes such that the OBI 100 no longer works with Google Voice.

Sorry missed the link, my bad.

I think I download the Google voice app and give it a go.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

There's a "Hangouts" extension for Chrome that lets you do VOIP calling from your PC. I've been using it quite a bit lately and like it.

But that's video, right? I don't wanna break their computer with my ugly mug. Turns out I've got that installed already.

Does it work with non video/regular phones on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by John Huds0n View Post
    I believe you are referring to Verizon's "network extender" ...
    I have one of these and I believe Verizon still sells them but you need to use the website link to get one (or at least I had too).
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/acces...nder-scs-2u01/

I use this at a beach property that has almost zero wireless coverage. Plug this into your internet hub, put it beside a window so it can see the GPS, and you should get full bars on your cell phone.

Darcy

I have a Google Voice number and the Hangouts plug in lets me make voice-only calls to any number I want. I even called into the audio bridge from a conference call service the other day when the usual VOIP connection they provide wouldn't work. You have access to the keypad as well when you need to press 1 for...

Blog Entries
    We have VOIP at work and I love it. Your laptop is your phone so I can make calls anywhere in the world through it if I have an internet connection. We don't have it at home but our mobile wireless plan has all calls free.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

If it's like the ATT microcell it uses your cell phone and sends the call through your router and internet connection. You can activate it to recognize up to 10 cell phones. For us it's excellent, but you still pay for the cell usage. BTW if you have lousy reception try to talk them out one for free -- after all if you can't get reception at your house why use that provider? Before that I had one spot on the deck with so so reception, now it's good all over the house. Real VOIP of course doesn't eat up your minutes. For me I like one number for people to call and reach me.

I tried about a year ago to get one for free complaining about the lousy reception, but I think they know they've got the best coverage in my area. For me its not about the minutes, I've got unlimited, it purely about the reception and its my only phone, no landline.

But I think I'm gonna try hangouts and Google voice for now, see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    ....For me I like one number for people to call and reach me.

You should try Google Voice if you have not already. You give out your Google Voice number but you can set it up to ring different phones. You can even use a schedule to ring your home phone for example during the week or you cell phone on weekends, etc. To work with the OBI Device, I have mine forwarded to Google Chat

I think I paid $10 which allowed me to pick a phone number that I liked and was easy to remember - well worth it.

Can you use Google voice over WiFi? The reviewers on play indicate that's not a possibility.

In what context? - using a device like the OBI 100 only uses wifi

I was using an android app - GrooveIP that worked pretty well and only uses an wifi connection

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.gvoip&hl=en

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/3-android...-google-voice/

Quote Originally Posted by John Huds0n View Post
    In what context?

The reviewers seem to indicates that this service works over the handset radio still- like 4g, not WiFi. Maybe im /their wrong, not sure.

I'm gonna give it (Google voice) a shot anyways.

Judson,

I had AT&T and we had lousy reception. I complained and complained and complained in person, over the phone, and by letter. My last letter went to some VP at AT&T telling him you could always tell who had AT&T cell service because we were the ones making phone calls standing in our front yard regardless of the weather. I don't know what worked but finally they gave me one of their mini cell towers. It installed easily, and worked perfectly. A few months later AT&T turned on their 4G network, and I no longer needed the mini. AT&T did not want it back so I sent it to a friend in Ohio and made his day.

OK just installed Google voice and made a test call, seems promising.

Question though; if folks call my cell number does it go though the Google voice thing or do I need to get a "One Number" from Google?

And "Hangouts"; you have to invite people to hangout via SMS? This doesn't seem to work for me on my android tablet.

Edit: Apparently I wasn't using Google voice.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 07-11-2014 at 1:58 PM.