Thread: 8 inch jointer mobile base deal

8 inch jointer mobile base deal

I recently posted asking about an 8 inch jointer C/L "find" (to which: thanks to everyone for helping me learn more about it).

One of the things I needed for the new-to-me jointer was a mobile base (since my "shop" is our garage ...and so my major power tools - Unisaw, drill press, band saw, compressor ...and now, jointer - have to share space with two Jeeps). I wanted a three-wheeled base (like the one on my old Jet 6 inch, and the one on the Unisaw).

In that thread, someone obliquely mentioned Loma Tools (the old Sunhill company) out of Seattle.

When I went looking for their website, I saw that Loma had a sweet deal ($35 plus $20 s/h) on a mobile base for an 8 inch jointer.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained" lol, so I ordered one (as nothing else I found came remotely close to that price). It got here yesterday via Fedex (about a week after ordering it); it arrived in fine shape, well packaged, and with all the small parts bagged and tagged. Assembly was a breeze. The base was well made, and the welds appear solid. Dunno if it's painted, or powder coated ...I didn't scratch it putting it together lol. It is solid.

The invoice lists the base as a "...Mobile base for CT-204 8" Jointer 17 x 25 x 3/4". It was a bit larger than that by my tape (about 5/8 inch longer and 1/4 inch wider), but fits my Central Point T-7700 jointer perfectly ...and as the jointer itself probably came off the Geetech [CT200] assembly line, I'd expect the base would also fit its 8" brethren from Jet, Grizzly, Bridgewood, and Sunhill equally well.

(And yeah, the jointer is still sitting on the trailer: I needed a mobile base to get it off the trailer lol. I managed to get the mobile base under the jointer by myself with the assiduous use of a piece of carpet, and some jointer tipping and fancy foot work ...I'll get the jointer off later today, time permitting.)

Anyways, I thought I'd share some pix of the base as received, as assembled, and with the jointer sitting on it in case anyone else was interested.

Mobile base as shipped.jpg Mobile base assembled.jpg Mobile base in use with 8 inch jointer.jpg
    Last edited by Brandon Davis; 07-10-2014 at 1:20 PM.

Update: Proof that I finally got the jointer off the trailer. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (I built a hell-a stout 6 ft. trailer ramp many moons ago, bolted together from 2x6's and ½ inch plywood, and though it bended an inch or two from the full weight of the jointer, it rolled down just fine).

Pic. It happened lol.

8 inch jointer on garage floor.jpg

Looks just like a Delta base to me. Sounds like a great deal.

Rick P