Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different twist to winding sticks

If I understand the OP, he's saying that because of his glasses and eyesight, it's easier for him to compare two verticals than two horizontals, so using squares makes it easier for him than straight winding sticks.

Other things that will help focusing on two objects at different distances are to step back as far as your shop lets you, and to increase the depth of focus by using as bright light as possible, and squinting. Using squares does not remove the need to compare two edges at varying distances.

If your eyesight makes it impossible to use winding sticks, you can use gravity instead. Clamp the board on edge and use a plumbline to mark vertical on each end. Planing down to each line will take out the twist. If you can see them, winding sticks seem easier.

Another option is to make sure your bench is flat, and use that as the reference. If the stock rocks corner to corner, it's twisted. This option is less satisfactory for stock much longer than the bench.
    Last edited by Alan Schwabacher; 07-11-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    If I understand the OP, he's saying that because of his glasses and eyesight, it's easier for him to compare two verticals than two horizontals, so using squares makes it easier for him than straight winding sticks.

Other things that will help focusing on two objects at different distances are to step back as far as your shop lets you, and to increase the depth of focus by using as bright light as possible, and squinting. Using squares does not remove the need to compare two edges at varying distances.

Another option is to make sure your bench is flat, and use that as the reference. If the stock rocks corner to corner, it's twisted. This option is less satisfacory for stock much longer than the bench.
    I agree with Alan.

I was taught to use two framing squares with the shorter leg (tongue) resting on the board's surface, and long leg (body) sticking up in the air. To keep the squares from falling over, use a "turtle," which is just a short piece of 2x4 or other scrap with slot a tad wider than the tongue's thickness, and tad longer than the tongue's width, cut at the center point (90 degrees to the 2x4's axis). The turtle is slipped over the tongue and keeps the square from falling over. My Dad rounded the corners of these little blocks of wood over so they looked a bit like turtles, ergo the name. He also slopped some handy paint on them so they would not get tossed out by accident.

The inside and outside edges of the body of one square are then painted black (or marked with marking pen) to improve contrast.

The advantages are huge.

Stability: Unlike wood, they don't warp.

Cost & Time Savings: Nowadays, they are pretty cheap, too, so you don't need to spend many hours making delicate winding sticks.

Tool Reduction: You need squares around anyway, so one more is easy to keep handy.

Accuracy: Since the body is relatively long, the error is magnified.

Ease of Use: Since the body is sticking up vertically, you don't have to kneel at all, or even bend over much, which can be a lot of work over a day and hard on the anatomy.

And of course, the most essential tool for detecting and correcting wind in shorter boards is, as Alan said, a flat benchtop.

Give it a try and you'll quickly see what I mean.

Stan

You can do the same thing as winding sticks with two T squares with the leg vertical and the T resting on the wood, make two of those and the longer the better. It doesn't get over the eyesight problem though, something I can relate to. Maybe two frames with a plumb bob in each and the plumb bob could read against graduations on the frame which actually mean something, that would get over the sight issue.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Many hours making a pair of winding sticks? Warping? Ease of use? I am having a hard time imagining that you have a lot of experience actually using winding sticks. I can't see using a bench top for gauging wind unless you were without winding sticks.

I've not used square to determine whether a board is coplanar. However my logic - not always my best suite - says that this method is best suited for narrower boards only. While the squares will indeed give you an indication of parallel, just how far apart can you place them before the "gap" between the uprights becomes difficult to read? Winding sticks, on the other hand, may be equally at home for wide or narrow boards.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Many hours making a pair of winding sticks? Warping? Ease of use? I am having a hard time imagining that you have a lot of experience actually using winding sticks. I can't see using a bench top for gauging wind unless you were without winding sticks.
    Sorry to read about the limits to your imagination. Best of luck learning how to use a benchtop to check for wind.

Derek:

I didn't invent the method. At lot of the world uses this method even now. I'm just surprised so few reading this forum seem to know about it. I can sure tell you that the creakier my knees get, the more I appreciate it.

My father was carpenter and used steel squares this way. His father was a carpenter and, according to my father, he used steel squares to check for wind too. He, in turn, learned it from somebody too, no doubt. Nothing new under the sun, right?

Interestingly, there are many books in Japan that deal with squaring timbers, and laying out complicated joints in wood primarily using the steel square and inkline, but in none of them do I recall any mention of winding sticks. Japanese carpenter are no slouches when it comes to working wood, and the fact is that they use steel squares, not winding sticks. Same with sashimono-shi. Right now, someone reading this is taking offense perhaps because they think I am saying their pretty, matched, rosewood winding sticks with ivory inlays are worthless. But that is not the case. I am simply saying there is another way out there in the big, wide world to get the job done, and that it has advantages worth investigating.

So my suggestion is to give a try, Derek. Heck, maybe you'll even like it. If not, that's fine too.

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 07-12-2014 at 8:52 AM.