Thread: Refrigerator question

Refrigerator question

My drinks refrigerator has recently began leaking water from the upper freezer compartment to the lower refrigerator. I suspect that
    the water is from the freezer autodrefrost cycle but do not know for sure. Only booze is stored in the freezer no water or ice.
    Other than this water leaking, both refrigerator and freezer work fine.

Any ideas on what could be causing the water and how to fix?

If it's a small freezer with the exposed coils in the freezer I'd think the drip pan or hose from the drip pan could be the problem. If it doesn't have exposed coils it'd be hard to say because the defrost is for the coils only not the freezer itself so there usually wouldn't be a way for the defrost water to get in the freezer in the first place.

Sure you don't have a leaky door gasket?

I take back what I wrote earlier. Frost on coils causes ice buildup on the coils. It shouldn't cause dripping water because the water doesn't melt. When I had ice on my coils the temps went in the freezer and fridge compartments.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 07-10-2014 at 5:07 PM.

Check to make sure that the drip catch and drain line are not plugged. This has happened to me a couple of times and cleaning out the drain tube fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Bird View Post
    Check to make sure that the drip catch and drain line are not plugged. This has happened to me a couple of times and cleaning out the drain tube fixed the problem.
    I agree. I had a similar problem that the repair people wanted to charge me $1,000 to fix. And all it was was a plugged up drain hose. Run a wire down the hose or use compressed air to blow it out.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Glenn, thanks for the advice. I will check it out this weekend.

Thanks Mike.