Thread: Copper cutting

Copper cutting

I have a friend that is looking for a laser cutter that will cut copper tubing 2 3/8 OD & .014- .016. thickness

0.5mm copper

1,000 watt CO2 or 600 watt Fiber

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    0.5mm copper

1,000 watt CO2 or 600 watt Fiber
    To expand on Dave's answer... that's a 1um fiber power. If he goes with 532nm, he can get away with less power (but Watt for Watt, he'll pay a LOT less with the 1um).

Either way, this isn't lunch money we're talking about here...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Any chance a hack saw would work? <grin> Not nearly as much fun, but perhaps more cost effective?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I haven't tried cutting copper with my 4500 watt fiber, but I've been warned by the manufacturer to go full power or go home. It will seriously damage the fiber if it reflects. Always start off with way too much power then back off. It's not worth the risk for such an expensive machine for me. I have done silver which CO2 laser has a hard time with and that was pretty difficult to get a good cut from.

Thinking about it, I do use a 1/4" copper welding tip to stop the laser beam from going through both sides of a ring when cutting it on a rotary axis. The beam is a bit out of focus by then, so it generally doesn't eat the copper much by then. It will get the copper glowing red hot though. It's an extremely hard thing to cut since it reflects infrared well and pulls heat away so fast.
    Last edited by Bruce Boone; 07-13-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

I want to know how you can cut a round tube or pipe on a laser , do the laser turn the tube as it are cutting it ?

Yes, it takes a rotary axis, You can either grip the tube at one end and have a tailstock if the part is pretty long, or use a rotary axis that allows the tube to go through the rotary axis side and stick out only enough to do your cut.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Boone View Post
    Yes, it takes a rotary axis, You can either grip the tube at one end and have a tailstock if the part is pretty long, or use a rotary axis that allows the tube to go through the rotary axis side and stick out only enough to do your cut.
    thank you ,Boone