Thread: Mystery Jointer Plane

Mystery Jointer Plane

This is my first post on the Creek. To introduce myself, let me say that I like doing things with tools but would not qualify as a real woodworker. I have built props and specialized equipment during my career as a photographer and audio-visual producer. Lately, I have put a foot on the slippery slope of accumulating metal bench planes (for now, I hesitate calling my affliction “collecting“) and I am going down fast! So far, I have more than 30: at least one of every Stanley Bailey bench planes from number 3 to 7 including the “fractions” (4 ½, 5 ¼, 5 ½), a few of them with the corrugated sole version too, as well as other makes of similar planes (Record, Millers Falls, Union, Sargent (no VBM, though), Shelton, Whitmore, WS); I also have a few Stanley Handyman kind-a-planes and a few block planes.

I have already restored a few of the nicer planes with your help, Creekers; the amount of info available here is fabulous, thank you! Now, I ask for your help in identifying this recent flea market find.

It is a number 7 jointer (A) that lacks any form of maker identification. The only marking on the base casting is the crooked number 7 in front of the knob (B). No raised ring for the knob. The sides and the sole have a very nice and fine milling pattern. The base casting is 21 7/16” long (about half inch shorter than my Type 18 #7 Bailey), 2 7/8” wide and 2 1/16” high.

The plain lever cap has “6” and “B” markings on the reverse. The iron has the hole for the screw head at the cutting edge (lower) side. The cap iron has a smaller hump near the cutting edge than Bailey planes (C). No marking on the iron or the cap iron. The iron is thin like a Bailey; I don’t know yet whether it is laminated or not. The screw joining the cap iron to the iron is smooth-sided, not knurled like others (D).

The stained wood handles are of a light-colored species (beech, maple?). The knob is tall with a shape not as sexy as Bailey knobs (E). The tote has a nice rounded shape a bit smaller than Bailey’s (F). The studs thread size is ¼” x 20 NC; Stanley used a non standard #12 x 20 thread; the brass nuts are cylindrical.

The real surprise is the frog, the attached parts and how it mates to the base. It has a ramp shape similar to Bed Rock planes, but without the iron-in-place mouth adjustment feature (G). The frog screws are also ¼” x 20 NC thread. The frog is marked “6A”. No frog adjustment fork and screw. The frog bedding on the base is divided in two parts with room for the screw bosses (H); unfortunately, the frog base is not “channeled” so there is a lot of lateral movement while adjusting the mouth opening.

While the lateral adjustment lever is of the three-piece kind similar to Bailey’s, the individual parts are not the same as Bailey’s and have no marking. The revolving washer is loose and the countersink for the rivet is quite crude (I). The brass depth adjustment knob is of the small type (one inch) with a left hand thread compatible with Bailey’s. Its knurling differs though (D). The plated yoke is beefier and squarish compared to Stanley’s (J). The screw retaining the lever cap will only partly screw into a Bailey frog; instead of 24 threads per inch, it seems to have 25.

I don’t think Stanley made it (no standard inventory parts). I looked at pictures of many other makes on the Net, but didn’t find a match. Any idea?

Thanks, Andre (more pictures in next post)
    Plane.jpgToe.jpgHump.jpgKnurling.jpgKnobs.jpgTote.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andre Packwood; 07-10-2014 at 4:26 PM.

More Pics, Mystery Jointer Plane

More pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andre Packwood; 07-10-2014 at 4:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Andre,

Welcome to the Creek.

This looks like a Stanley/Bailey lateral adjuster but after that all similarities end.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Some parts do look firmiliarSDC14585.jpg Except mine was labled as a Dunlap, Made in West germany, with a Metric width iron. SDC14584.jpgI had both a #3 sized, and a #5 sized version. On mine, the frog sits at a York pitch. Might want to check yours. Some parts look almost Vaughn & Bushnell, as well.

Sorry,I don't see any parts that are like the OP's mystery plane,except in a vague sort of way.

Assuming that in illustration "E", the knob with the question mark over it is the one from your plane, and furthermore that it is original to your plane, your plane may well be a Vaughan & Bushnell product.

What I SAW was a frog seat that was made the same way. Bottom of the frog i have may have been a later model.

V & B used a three digit number for their planes, not a single one.

Front knob looks more like a Sargent knock-off.

Size of the hardware suggests ...Frankenplane, as in someone made NEW bolts and threaded new holes. maybe to fix the rusted up old ones.

Say Haw????

Quoting Steven: "Size of the hardware suggests ...Frankenplane, as in someone made NEW bolts and threaded new holes. maybe to fix the rusted up old ones."

The plane has a nice patina, but very little rust, so I doubt screws could have gotten stuck in rust over time. All the screw components and threads in the casting look original. The stud threads are rolled, not cut with a die as would be the case with a "home-made" solution. The fact that all screw threads are ¼” x 20 NC to me denotes an effort in standardization. A ¼” screw (6.35mm) may look bigger than Stanley's gauge 12 screw (about 5.49mm), but I own a plane where the frog retaining screws are even bigger with a diameter of 7.5mm and use 19mm (3/4") washers (WS 4½, please visit Roger Ball's web site for more info on WS planes at www.wstoolsbirmingham.com)

The plane seems to have seen very little use and I feel all components are original. It might not be very old, certainly not 100 years old. May be post WWII?

Thanks for all the replies so far! Andre