Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up a Grizzly G0690 Tomorrow...

Picking up a Grizzly G0690 Tomorrow...

I'm heading to Grizzly to pick up my brand new G0690 tomorrow. Question for you all: While I'm at the showroom - aka no shipping - are there any TS accessories I should pick up from Grizzly? Also, does anybody have experience with the 40T Carbide blade that comes with the saw? Thanks!

The stock blade is pretty typical.....save it for junk lumber. You and your new saw both deserve better. Whether you pick that up at Grizzly, or somewhere else along the trip is up to you. One of the best bargains going is the Delta 35-7657 full kerf 40T from Cripe Distr for $18 + s/h. They do combine s/h, so if you buy multiples, or find another blade, s/h costs get optimized.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    The stock blade is pretty typical.....save it for junk lumber. You and your new saw both deserve better. Whether you pick that up at Grizzly, or somewhere else along the trip is up to you. One of the best bargains going is the Delta 35-7657 full kerf 40T from Cripe Distr for $18 + s/h. They do combine s/h, so if you buy multiples, or find another blade, s/h costs get optimized.
    Cripe Distributing looks pretty cool. I'd never heard of them before. Thanks for the heads up.

I visited the site...threw some stuff in my shopping cart...but the shipping seemed a tad high. Around $30. Am I missing something???
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Cripe Distributing looks pretty cool. I'd never heard of them before. Thanks for the heads up.

I visited the site...threw some stuff in my shopping cart...but the shipping seemed a tad high. Around $30. Am I missing something???
    Worth a call to confirm if a combined shipping price would be lower...they actually refunded a friend of mine once they realized they overcharged him for s/h.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Grizzly has pre-made zero clearance inserts to fit most of their saws. I recently bought one for my older G1022ZF when I was at the Bellingham, WA showroom to pick up a new Shop-Fox mobile platform...which is something else you might consider, depending on how you're going to install and use your new TS.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 07-11-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Get a can or maybe two of their C-60 degreaser for cleaning the table top. Make sure you have the right plug for the outlet you'll be using (stop at the BORG for that).

I think the sliding table would make a nice accessory while you are there.

Cary: I have too much money and not enough space. Can I send the sliding attachment to you?

Stupid auto-correct... I meant the opposite...

Those free sample blades are always junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Compton View Post
    I'm heading to Grizzly to pick up my brand new G0690 tomorrow. Question for you all: While I'm at the showroom - aka no shipping - are there any TS accessories I should pick up from Grizzly? Also, does anybody have experience with the 40T Carbide blade that comes with the saw? Thanks!
    I'm really interested in hearing how you like this saw. I have been eyeing this saw for a while and am seriously considering picking one up in the next few weeks.

Craig: I bought the G0690 to replace a 1970's Unisaw I inherited from my grandfather. It was a great saw, but when the motor blew I sold it to a rehab-er and bought the grizzly. I have it on the Shop Fox mobile base and it rolls around the shop beautifully. It took about 2 hours to set up and tune, but the blade/miter slot alignment was 5/1000ths out of the box.

The saw runs great and I'm very pleased with my decision. This saw is a great value and compares favorably to my buddy's 3 year old powermatic. I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I have no complaints...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Day View Post
    I'm really interested in hearing how you like this saw. I have been eyeing this saw for a while and am seriously considering picking one up in the next few weeks.
    Craig,
    Have you also looked at the G1023RL? I sold my 1970 Unisaw and bought the G01023RL about 3 years ago and have not regretted it. Both the 690 and the 1023 are both great saws. They have slightly different features and different trunnion design.
    Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Compton View Post
    Craig: I bought the G0690 to replace a 1970's Unisaw I inherited from my grandfather. It was a great saw, but when the motor blew I sold it to a rehab-er and bought the grizzly. I have it on the Shop Fox mobile base and it rolls around the shop beautifully. It took about 2 hours to set up and tune, but the blade/miter slot alignment was 5/1000ths out of the box.

The saw runs great and I'm very pleased with my decision. This saw is a great value and compares favorably to my buddy's 3 year old powermatic. I'm still in the honeymoon period, but I have no complaints...
    Great to hear you are still happy with it despite still being in the honeymoon period. All the reviews I've read on this saw have been positive. I've looked at the powermatics, but after owning a 6" powermatic jointer, I simply cannot see myself spending the money on a powermatic. I don't really see any benefit given the price difference. I'd just go with a sawstop instead. Don't get me wrong, I love my powermatic jointer, but the 90 deg return stop on the fence tilt is useless. Tilt the fence and try returning it to 90 and it will never come back. There is too much play in the stop. That, combined with their asian manufacturing and poor customer service mean I will avoid powermatic when I can. I am no longer convinced of them being the "gold standard".

Did you square up the blade with the miter slot? How difficult was this? I have a saw alignment gauge that I will surely use if my saw isn't within a very tight tolerance out of the box.

What is your opinion of the fence? Does it slide easily and lock down securely?

Two complaints I read online about the saw have been (1) the tape measure along the fence is not accurate and to replace it immediately, and (2) a power cord that is rather short. Have you had to deal with either of these two issues?

Lastly, I am also within a reasonable driving distance of the Grizzly showroom and just plan to drive over and pickup the saw. I assume you made arrangements ahead of time to make sure a saw was available?

Much thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Craig,
    Have you also looked at the G1023RL? I sold my 1970 Unisaw and bought the G01023RL about 3 years ago and have not regretted it. Both the 690 and the 1023 are both great saws. They have slightly different features and different trunnion design.
    Cary
    Cary,

I have looked a the G1023RL. I used the comparison tool on grizzly's website to see the feature differences. Good to hear that you are also pleased with your saw. I was even considering the G0691, but I'm not sure if I have "permanent" space for the additional table length... I'd like to ask Grizzly what the options are for future table extension of the G0690. Maybe you know?