Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I wash(er) or not?

I've been using a washer, but after reading this, I think I'll stop.

I've never used a washer, never saw the need for it. Several members of our club have reported wobble & run out problems while using washers.

I got in the habit of using a washer on my first lathe - the spindle was so galled when I got it I had to file the threads just to get the chuck to seat. When I got a new lathe, I just kept on using the washer until I started to see the dreaded chuck wobble. Removed the washer, lost the wobble and only use one when I'm using the vacuum chuck these days.

Might as well do it right. Buy a 4$ can of anti-seizing compound at an auto store. Prevents jams, galling and wear. These threads might have to last a lifetime. Brush a bit on the spindle 3times a year--no washer issues also. Most machine shops use it.

This is great info. I have heard the wobble-inducing argument before but didn't think I was experiencing it. I did have a real problem using the Mcnaughton coring system, though, and this may be the issue. After so many expert opinions, I'll be sure to tighten the chuck onto the spindle better and see how that goes without the washer. I'll try the oil trick, too. One of the reasons that this became an issue with me, as I mentioned, is that my chuck wrench broke. After looking for a better replacement (I think my old one was from Woodcraft, and was quite thin), I'm having trouble finding a 1.5" wrench that is thin enough to fit between the chuck and headstock. I'll look for an old wrench, as was mentioned above. HF does have a set of jumbo wrenches, but I don't want to pay $60-70 for the set just to get the 1.5"

I've bought large single wrenches at Tractor Suppy for cheap before.

I wouldn't waste my time on oil. The anti-seizing compound is a heavy grease incorporating both fibers and powdered aluminum--never had a tight faceplate and I turn very heavy stuff at times.

Eric,
    Go to a welding shop and have a wrench made.
    Last edited by John Brown; 07-13-2014 at 7:48 AM.

Pawn shops are good sources for odd wrenches. That is where I got my chuck wrench for $1!

I use a cheap adjustable plumbers wrench. http://www.doitbest.com/Plumbers+too...sku-408302.dib

Never use a washer to chuck on a spindle, and its not advisable to use the spindle lock to unscrew a stuck chuck. The pins that lock the spindle are not sturdy enough on most lathes, and don't ask how I learned that expensive lesson!

and its not advisable to use the spindle lock to unscrew a stuck chuck
    if not spindle lock, do you just hold the other end of the spindle with one hand and the chuck with another?
    ?

Use 2 wrenches, as the inserts on most chucks have flats, and another wrench for the spindle flats.

THANKS, good tip

I use brass washers. My lathe (Oneway 1224) has a really long spindle adapter. My SuperNova2 chuck does not fully seat without a 1/8" thick spacer. I think it is a Nova spindle adapter and not the cheap aftermarket version. I had an order with McMaster-Carr and added a couple of 2" OD x 1" ID x 1/8" thick bronze bearings onto the order. I recall that they were fairly cheap, somewhere around $1 each.

I do admit to using the spindle lock while removing the chuck. I have never had a chuck get really tight. Roughing out a 24" diameter burl could really jam itself tight.

Steve