Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many new woodworkers are scared away by the crap

Click on the user's name and in the profile page choose "Add to Ignore List"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Is there an ignore button on SMC?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    David,

You left out those that will tell you precisely "the one and only way" to do something they have never done themselves.

jtk
    But I read about it on that one super popular blog! How can it not be "The Truth"?
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Click on the user's name and in the profile page choose "Add to Ignore List"
    There have been a few "trolls" who like to be jerks all the time. For people like that instead of "adding to the Ignore list" I think it is better to get a moderator or two to look at their offending posts. If they are as offensive as they seem they end up not needing to be ignored as they are suspended.

Though anyone who always tries to tell others there is only one way or one tool to use tend to end up on my "ignore memo" without having to check them off on a list.

There are too many ways to do almost any task to take the side of there being "only one way" to get the job done.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Hang on a second, Tony. I was following your Dovetail thread and I can't read a single negative, contentious post. You received lots of advice and encouragement. (I guess this post is contentious )

I occasionally get turned off too, but I learned (am learning) almost entirely from this website (and practice). Just like outside, there are WAY MORE people who want you to succeed than wish to put you down for their own reasons. Stick with it, and stick with us. As long as your posts continue to be in the spirit of the forum here, I think you'll find a lot of fans and friends and mentors here.
    It wasn't on this forum this time. I had posted on another forum. I'm probably over reacting as usual with my PTSD but when I post a 'hey I'm about to try these the first time" and it turns into a debate and then finally a 'you don't build anything so you aren't worth our time' then I'm not digging being lectured and derided.

If you are hacked off by internet trolls or an innocent but ill-phrased post then you lack the patience for most things in life such as driving in rush hour, golf, woodworking, etc. Yah i have been irritated at some things said on line but compared to cutting a quad matched veneer panel exactly an inch off center it don't make the noise level. chill out and enjoy life bro - you only go around once - if making sawdust does not make you happy then find something that does

Yeah, go for the ignore button if someone makes comments like that. If you're about to try something for the first time, I have no clue how they'd expect to find that "you'd have built something" that you're asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    It wasn't on this forum this time. I had posted on another forum. I'm probably over reacting as usual with my PTSD but when I post a 'hey I'm about to try these the first time" and it turns into a debate and then finally a 'you don't build anything so you aren't worth our time' then I'm not digging being lectured and derided.
    Ok Reverend, now you got me wondering: if the sinning didn't occur here, why are you posting your visceral reaction here?
    Like Prashun, I reviewed a bunch of the posts in your threads here and wasn't seeing anything that caused me to recoil. To now see you post that the offenders don't live in this group, my reaction was "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    Yah i have been irritated at some things said on line but compared to cutting a quad matched veneer panel exactly an inch off center it don't make the noise level.
    Ouch! I wish I could say, "I've never done that." But then I'd be lying....
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Keep at it Tony!

I know this hobby is tough, weather were reading about it, asking about it or doing it.

Sometime ya just gotta turn off the internet and get at the bench. Other times you've gotta get away from the bench.

I took a nearly 2 year hiatus from woodworking, but missed it to much to stay a way.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I have found nothing but encouragement, here.

If you're concerned that an online forum has aggravated your
    PTSD, it may be time to spend a little time with your counselor.

It is worth bearing in mind that hacks like me have enough time to chime in
    online because we're not in the shop.

As has been mentioned above, there's not better treatment for irritation than 20 minutes at the bench.
    Even if I'm just sweeping up a pile of shavings, it's better than punching the clock.

I would say this much about online boors - the Big Dogs never run down us Newbs.

My reply is comment no 25 in this thread. Tony has written twice and all the other comments are from other members. Maybe this alone is one reason why it can be tough to follow this forum. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the people here and the willingness to comment and hand out advice. I truly do. But there are times when threads with specific questions very quickly turn out to be something entirely different - and driven by participants who ignore the actual questions. That can annoy me a lot. When this happens I tend to switch off for a while. So all I am saying is that I understand how Tony feels and that maybe we could sometimes do better if we listened to each other rather than hand out advice at the speed of light. In this regard I'm every bit as guilty as anyone else. And telling someone he or she just has to deal with it isn't quite fair. We all react in different ways and should be respected for doing so. I think it's great that Tony had the guts to tell us how he felt rather than just ride off into the sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Ok Reverend, now you got me wondering: if the sinning didn't occur here, why are you posting your visceral reaction here?
    Like Prashun, I reviewed a bunch of the posts in your threads here and wasn't seeing anything that caused me to recoil. To now see you post that the offenders don't live in this group, my reaction was "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"
    You got me. This forum has been a lot better about this lately. This is what happens when life gets in the way. Spent yesterday bed ridden and then went out to the shop mad this morning (for something totally silly BTW). Hit my chisel a little (way) to hard and moved my baseline back a good ways. Came back in to find that other forum still going on about what advice I should follow.

So I should apologize to you guys - I'm sorry

No apologies necessary, Tony. Just keep on posting. I am learning too, and it's very encouraging for me to see others frustrated and learning and progressing.
    I am not bedridden, but do have back issues. Don't you wish you had discovered this craft 25 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    So I should apologize to you guys - I'm sorry
    I don't think so. I have been on other forums and watched some of the members drive off new members one after the other by trolling anyone who had the cash to buy spendy tools, and sometimes anyone for any reason they felt like it any day. I got kicked off of a forum for trying to run said people out because they were chasing off experts, authors, newbies by being rude to everyone.

I fully understand exactly what you're saying, and there's probably a few places that have long-time hobby woodworkers who log in only to make themselves feel important by comparing what they make and how fast to what you make and how fast.

Time at the bench fixes that, too. Sooner or later you find your way to a forum that doesn't tolerate it (this one ultimately doesn't when it gets to a super rude level), or the forums that tolerate it stop tolerating it.

Tony
    I was a surgeon for over 30 years. When I started in the workshop maybe 25 years ago I was invited over to an Irish psychiatrist's basement to see how he set up his shop and worked. His name was Paddy and his first career was teaching shop. His advice stood up to the test of time.
    One project at a time. Half of the fun is in the reading, planning, acquiring the right piece of wood.
    One board at a time. You aren't in production. You don't have to be right the first time after all its only a board. If you have to do it again you'll only get better if you do it again or learn how to hide your mistakes
    Treat your tools with respect and if you leave your workshop tidy you'll get a lot less grief from the other half.
    Then he brought out a bottle of wine and we solved the rest of the worlds problems.
    So here is to Paddy- don't give up woodworking