Thread: 12" Disk Sander or 12" disk/6" belt?

12" Disk Sander or 12" disk/6" belt?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new Jet JDS-12DC disk sander (12" disk, open stand), primarily for touching up segmented turning pieces before glue-up. I'm contemplating stepping up to a JSG-6DCK (12" disk, 6" belt, open stand). In a perfect world, I'd get the 12" disk only and then get an oscillating edge sander down the road. In my real-world road, floor space is extremely limited and I don't have room for the edge sander. The 6' belt would be an efficient use of space, but will I get enough from the belt to be worth the price?

Most of my woodworking these days is segmented turning. Is the 6" belt sander worth having?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Dan,

I don't have experience tuning segments for segmented work yet (segmented turning is on the to do list eventually when I get some time to pursue), but I have a Jet disk/belt combo. Based on my experience with that, I would think that a disk sander would be better for tuning the segments for gluing. A disk will adhere fully to its platter while a belt by design does not. So, I would think you would get a more consistent result using the disk sander.

I'm curious: how does an oscillating edge sander fit your needs for segmented turning?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks, Brian. Without a doubt, the disk side of the combo would get more use for tuning segments. A good oscillating edge sander can do a fine job on many such tunings, and the ability to easily change grits is handy. What the disk can do like no other is flattening rings, so just the edge sander isn't a good option (and I don't have room for one anyway).

I'm mostly fishing for reasons to have the 6" belt in about the same footprint. If I can't find any, I'll buy the disk and invest in exotic wood.

Thanks!

D.

I shaved my head.

I have a 12" Delta benchtop disk and an older iron Delta 12"/6" "Sanding Station". The 6" belt is good for roughing out material but adds overall vibration to the worktable. My 12" benchtop runs as smooth as silk. The smoother running benchtop see's the most use.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a 12" Powermatic Disc Sander and a 6 x 48" Rockwell Belt Sander. The only high speed sandpaper I want going needs to be directly in front of me and will have my full attention. Extra spinning sandpaper somewhere on the side (the part not being used) seemed a bit on the dangerous side for this klutz. Good news is that you can find individual units on the cheap side.

Rich, good point about high speed sandpaper--it hadn't occurred to me that both would be in motion at the same time on the combo machine.

After thinking it through and factoring in the advice I've received, I decided to go with the 12" disk only. I'll worry about the belt when the day comes that I need one to complete a project.

Thanks, all!

D.

I shaved my head.

You might want to think about making a disk for your lathe and using it to save space.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    You might want to think about making a disk for your lathe and using it to save space.

Sid
    Excellent idea, Sid. Here's what I've used for the past year or so:

IMG_1527.jpg

It's great for working flat stacked rings and tuning the segments that make them. It's reliably square, has excellent dust collection and I've made a lot of segmented projects with it. If a 90 degree sander is all I need, I'd stick with this one in a heartbeat.

I'm starting to venture out into more complicated sculptural pieces with compound miters that demand both precision and some really funky angles. I could probably design an adjustable table, but it's a matter of whether I want to spend my time experimenting with sanders or growing in the craft of segmented design.

That said, I'd recommend a sander like this one for anyone who only needs a 90 degree fixed table. Making this and tuning it just right was a great exercise that taught me a lot.

Thanks!

D.

I shaved my head.

Blog Entries
    Probably not as applicable for turning stuff but, I went with the 12" disc / spindle sander option and have been very glad to have it.

G0529 Cab (17).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have a 12" Delta benchtop disk and an older iron Delta 12"/6" "Sanding Station". The 6" belt is good for roughing out material but adds overall vibration to the worktable. My 12" benchtop runs as smooth as silk. The smoother running benchtop see's the most use.
    Same experience with the disc sander. It takes up little space and is a pleasure to use. I note the downward vector of the disc; like a bandsaw it keeps the work in place. I can use light fingertip pressure to sand to the line of convex shapes.