Thread: Mini lathe rust find

Mini lathe rust find

I stopped by a number of garage sales yesterday, most with overpriced junk. One sale was a machinist's son who thought he had won the lottery with his dad's tools. Some nice stuff but fully ebay priced. The next one was close to my house, quite a bit of rust and he had this lathe marked $20. I only had $10 but I figured all he can do is say no. I think people respond better when you say "Well that is a really nice thing but I am poor, all I have is $10" than if you say "Well you are asking $20 but it's rusty and does not have the original wingnuts etc. so I think it is only worth $10." Most people just want to get rid of stuff but they feel better if it goes to a good home. Also they have no idea what it is actually worth, what someone would pay for it, and price with a guess. I actually left it there, not far from my house, then later went back and asked the boy if they would take $10 for it. He went and got the man, came out in a scooter, and he took the money. I have a list of projects about a year long now so I am not looking for any advice now but I plan on building a treadle for it and making needle cases or something at craft shows, or if I run into some money I will hook up a hit & miss engine to it. Alternately I could hook up a slave wheel to it (I think that is the name) and my wife could be the slave. Surface rust like this used to bother me but doesn't any more, when it is just rusted but still smooth and not flaky or froze up. I think I will just wax the whole thing with my beeswas and mineral oil combo and display it by my Jet mini for now. It is about 21" long at the base.

Mini lathe.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I sold one similar to that last year. I think I got $40 for it, but there was no rust.

I had one of those many years ago which I never used. I think it was a toy. At least it seemed intended to actually work. I traded it off to a guy who liked to travel around to shows and give demonstrations of wood turnings. it might have worked for someone who knew how to cut instead of scrape. This guy had studied in England with Peter Childs in the 70's ,IIRC.

I had one ,too. Most basic but functional yard sale find. Many years ago the Popular Mechanics and similar magazines had
    full page black and white ads with a bunch of very low priced mail order machines, don't know where they were made but
    I think the lathe might be one of those.