Thread: Question regarding branding ...

Question Question regarding branding ...

Hi all ...

I just got a electric branding iron off ebay (new) and I have a somewhat unusual question. For the bowls, platters, etc. that I have already turned and finished, can I use the iron over the finishes? Some are Danish, some wax, some simply shellac. Hopefully someone has tried ... or knows NOT to try!

Thanks, Joe

I've found it works best on an unfinished piece.... You can go over a finish but the results are kinda iffy.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

When I have tried branding over a finished, it usually turns out with a burned look in the surrounding finish. Brand before you finish.
    Last edited by Don McClure; 07-12-2014 at 4:33 PM. Reason: typos

I burn before finish. After finish is tricky at best and if you do try this wear a respirator. It stinks badly.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Joe,
    I have been looking for a brand for my turnings, which one did you buy?

Dwight

Its a Wall Lenk with custom head. I fou7nd it on ebay for $39 delivered.

BTW ... the reason I'm asking is because I have a fairly large number of finished turnings, some waiting for final buffing and I would like to brand them in addition to new ones.

Give it a try on one, worst case is you have to refinish the bottom of a bowl. Don't know that brand of iron but branding the bottom of a bowl unless it has a large flat bottom is a little difficult because of the curve.

If branding after finishing is not possible a second best might be to brand a bunch of wood business cards and include one with each bowl. I know it is not as good as branding the bowl but it will get your name out to your customers.
    Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shanaphy View Post
    BTW ... the reason I'm asking is because I have a fairly large number of finished turnings, some waiting for final buffing and I would like to brand them in addition to new ones.
    Joe, if you have somebody near you that has a laser engraver, you can "brand" your finished turnings quite easily.
    pencil cup.jpg
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2