Thread: What is this green/blue bench plane?

What is this green/blue bench plane?

This $2 plane came without the blade, chip breaker, or cap. It seems like the color is unusual.

• 14" long
    • body is 2 7/16" wide
    • mouth is 2 1/8" wide (2.11")
    • adjuster is not brass
    • no markings other than "MADE IN U.S.A."

The blade, chip breaker, and cap from my #4 Stanley fit perfectly (Bailey, USA, 9.5" long).

Thank you one and all.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Doug,

It sounds like something in the vicinity of a #5 based on your statement that the blade/breaker/cap from your #4 fits and the length. But it seems wider than the sources I checked cite for a #5 variant. I'll have to defer to wiser heads for their opinions.

I have no clue on manufacturer, but if you posted pics of the frog, adjusting lever, tote and knob someone here can probably glean enough to make a good guess at that.

Treasure hunts like this are always fun. Ill be watching to see what our Wise Ones think.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-12-2014 at 6:47 PM. Reason: typos
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm looking at my post - where is the picture? Oops, I must have forgotten to include it.

25pct.jpg
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

I have no idea who manufactured it, but I did see another plane that color at Brimfield today.

I have a #4 size plane that came that color. it had a lever cap and blade both branded craftsman

I've seen Craftsman planes that color, made by Sargent (in fact, I have a block plane right now in that color scheme, definitely Sargent-made). According to Walt Quadrato's field guide to identifying plane make by lateral adjuster lever (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/tool...lane%20id.html), your plane was made by Sargent. So that fits.

My guess is that it is a Victor by Stanley. I have a number 5 size Victor by Stanley and the castings are the same as my Stanley type 19. The only thing I have noticed between by Victor and the type 19 is the size of the mouth opening. The type 19 is much tighter. The wood is also some light colored hardwood. Other than these two differences, it is a type 19.

Here is a link to some pictures of my victor by stanley.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1958360

I should post some pictures of the plane after it was cleaned up. I put a heavy camber on the iron and use it for a scrub plane.

I'd guess Hercules by Sargent.

Edit: Now that I'm on a computer and not my phone, the base is Stanley made, so I agree with the Victor. Hercules were a much darker green, Victors more of a grey.
    Last edited by don wilwol; 07-13-2014 at 8:38 AM.

+1 to the Victor.

I have one too and it looks paint and handles look like the OPs.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

11. a little more on my craftsman branded sargent/victor plane.

it was given to me around 1982/1983. it was basically unused, for the reason that it was unusable. I kept it around and from time to time tried to figure out *why* it didn't work. basically there was no adjustment that didn't produce either chatter and digging in or no cut at all. finally I discovered that the sole was way out of flat- concave by almost 1/16" in it's length. once that was taken care of, it began behaving. I did some further work to it. I used prussian blue, a surface plate and a carbide scraper to flatten the sole, the face of the frog and the frog seat surfaces. I stripped off the green painted it black. I replaced the front knob with a vintage rosewood one, and the garishly ugly chrome plated lever cap with a vintage one with decent patina.

now it's a favorite go to smoother. some pics:

tumblr_n8rx8lCGhX1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n8rx8v5FId1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n8rx94A0mu1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n8rxoxCty51qhrm32o1_500.jpg

and one image that I'll have to link to: the forum software says it's too large:
    https://31.media.tumblr.com/5c674eed...rm32o1_500.jpg

thanks