Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton Identity Safe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I normally stay logged in to forums. Does this make it easier to get the password?
    In some cases, yes. Google Heartbleed... not a 100% direct relation, any time you have passwords stored somewhere more readily accessible (particularly RAM), the job of finding something useful increases for those with an interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    And the other question, does it really matter if someone hacks my Sawmill Creek password so long as I am not using the same word for everything?
    Not really... they could post as you, but so what.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I don't think you can do better than to get Norton security products.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I don't think you can do much worse than to get Norton security products.
    Fixed that for you, Pat

My password generator:

1. Close eyes
    2. Start keying in random characters as you hands wander over the keyboard
    3. Occasionally depress the "shift" key while keying
    4. Cease keying
    5. Open eyes to see if you've keyed in the requisite variety of characters
    6. Safely record and store an acceptable password because it's unlikely you'll ever be able to recall that unique and random sequence of characters unless you have a photographic memory.

I don't think you can do much worse than to get Norton security products.

+1 I don't trust anything Norton any more!

+2

It's some of the most invasive inefficient bloated string scanning junkware I've ever come across.
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Some of the Ars Technica articles I've linked in the past threads (like this one ) discuss this a bit.
    Wow. Great article! thanks for the link!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    +2

It's some of the most invasive inefficient bloated string scanning junkware I've ever come across.
    Norton Internet Security (2014) is PC magazine Editors Choice. I guess that is pretty bad. LOL. What do you recommend that's better than what PC magazine is saying?

Norton Internet Security (2014) is PC magazine Editors Choice. I guess that is pretty bad. LOL. What do you recommend that's better than what PC magazine is saying?

Well, if your looking for an anti virus program, I would read one of the independent reviews:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

I think Norton has gotten a bad rap over the years - but rightfully so

Pat, that's a review on it's effectiveness vs. a virus. Most people don't fault Norton or McAfee for their quality, they fault them for how they bloat the system down and embed themselves so deep into your system you can't hardly get rid of them without some special tools.

ESET Nod 32 is one of the best out there, it rates higher than most others and it's not very intrusive into the system. It's highly recommended by geeks, who I trust more than magazine's taking advertising
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    I would not consider PC Magazine to be an authoritative source for AV software efficacy (or much else, these days). Let me see if I can summarize the entire AV world in a few sentences...

No AV software in existence recognizes all of the viruses (even ancient ones!). Each will recognize a subset, the size of which will vary dramatically between packages. Package 'A' will recognize virus #1 and not recognize #2 (both being a year old, so plenty of time to add a definition to their database)... package 'B' will do just the opposite. Package 'C' might recognize mutating viruses, whereas you have to go with package 'D' if you want to have any hope of recognizing rootkits and boot sector viruses. Take a standard package of viruses from across the decade and none of the packages will recognize all of the viruses.

Note I said "recognize", not defend against... all packages, to varying degrees, may be able to recognize a specific virus but not be able to defend against it. Nature of the beast.

Norton is...painful... in terms of what it does to your system usability. If you're content with continually losing 100% of your processor for periods of time, allowing your memory resources get hogged, etc., then install Norton tools.

I use Avast! on my home machines, which offers a decent mix of low system resource capture and virus signatures, with algorithms more tailored to the type of web surfing I do. Although I block most ads from FaceBook, for example, its algorithms have captured a few over the last year or two from friends who have had their pages stolen and virus-laden articles inserted. There are other decent packages out there accessible to the home user.