Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spindle Sander

Spindle Sander

I am considering getting a spindle sander. Here are some options:

A used Ryobi on Craigslist $110
    HF on sale $129 - use 25% off coupon = $103 out the door
    Delta on Craigslist $129 - may have sales tax since being sold by Cashland if taxed ~$138
    Rigid Belt/ spindle at HD $212 out the door

I do not expect a lot of use. I already have some drums to use on the drill press but this can be hard on the DP spindle bearings. I already have a Rikon 10" disk / belt combo along with a drum sander.

Thoughts opinions

George

For me it would be the Ridgid.
    I know it is a little more then the others but I think it is worth it.
    I have one and love it, don't know what I would do without it.

George,
    Ridgid all the way.
    I bought mine a couple years back and love it. I don't use it often, but, when I do use it, it really gets the job done.

I had to double check the Delta - that's the Shopmaster series one. Delta cheapened that series so bad it's pathetic. I see the reviews for it on Amazon warn about broken nylon gears that can't be replaced.
    What a pity - nice cast iron top & all, you'd think Delta would have done it right, but, I guess not.

I have one of the Delta Shopmaster bench top bandsaws. What a POS!
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 07-13-2014 at 8:38 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Ridgid is the one. Four years old and I can't live without it The $212 gets you a NEW machine, a warranty...and a great machine that does an excellent job as a spindle sander and a belt sander

If I had it to do over, I would have the Ridgid.

John

To offer a different option, I have a Porter Cable spindle sander like this:

Like you, I don't use it that often. Certainly not enough to have to dedicate some work space to it or make room for it when I need it. I have a plate on it so it fits into my router table. It also comes in handy as a hand held unit sometimes, too. Porter Cable doesn't make them anymore but I expect you can find plenty of them around.

A used Ryobi on Craigslist $110
    IIRC - those were under $100 brand new when they were made.
    Unless it comes with a ton of sleeves - which aren't easy to find - that price is way out of line.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

George I see the HF one on sale with coupon for $89 all the time. It appears to me to be same as the Triton and Woodcraft models. Yes it has small table, and thin plastic housing, but its cheap, and portable. Its not a precision tool, so I didn't see much advantage in spending more.

If rigid does the lifetime Warranty deal on it, can't go wrong.

I was gonna say the Delta, until I read that it is the Shopmaster. I had one of the original ones they called the BOSS. Used it for years until I found a killer deal on a floor model. Too bad they had to cheapen it.

That being said, I will go with the crowd....Rigid. The tilt feature may be of use to you also.

Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post

I've not seen that portable in action. How do you see where you're sanding ?

I had a rigid. 95% of my use was with the belt. So yeah, the rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I've not seen that portable in action. How do you see where you're sanding ?
    It's about the same as hand holding a router. Most of the time I have it in the router table, though.

Another vote for the Ridgid. I have one and love it, there isn't anything on the market that compares to it for the price.
    Earl

I used the Ridgid spindle/belt sander in the sign shop at CNU but I owned a Jet bench top spindle sander in my sign shop. Both were good machines, the Jet was more of an industrial quality machine.

Recently I had an opportunity to purchase the Baileigh floor model spindle sander in the picture below, its an incredible workhorse that I doubt will ever need to be replaced.
    Attached Images Attached Images